Pinched Nerve in my neck/cervical spine

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
groominggal

Pinched Nerve in my neck/cervical spine

Post by groominggal » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:39 pm

I just received the results of my MRI and as of yet have not seen my neurologist. Based on the results that I hope someone here will understand, can you tell me what course of treatment you would suggest?

I am a dog groomer and I have pain in my elbow and pain in my thumb and index finger most likely from years of holding dogs faces to scissor them. My career choie is very rough on the body.

The MRI findings suggest that I have no disc herniation but does say that in C4-C5 there is a small disc osteophyte complex as well as bilateral unconvertebral joint hypertrophy. There is no central spinal canal stenosis.

C5-6: broad disc osteophyte complex as well as mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy and moderate left side neural forminal stenosis.

So please what does this mean and what do I do? Anyone out there..'

Thank you for your help.

Janie

gr

Re: Pinched Nerve in my neck/cervical spine

Post by gr » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Janie,

I just joined the group, trying to find help for my pinched nerve. It's also from a bone spur cevical spine. It has been bothering me for 5 months - my doctor says I need a steroid injexction, but I am trying to find exercises or another way to releive the pressure. I took 2 courses of steroid pills- they really helped, but the effects were temporary. So have you found any help since you posted in Sept? I wish I could help you, but so far, I am still searching. Good luck,

gr
groominggal wrote:I just received the results of my MRI and as of yet have not seen my neurologist. Based on the results that I hope someone here will understand, can you tell me what course of treatment you would suggest?

I am a dog groomer and I have pain in my elbow and pain in my thumb and index finger most likely from years of holding dogs faces to scissor them. My career choie is very rough on the body.

The MRI findings suggest that I have no disc herniation but does say that in C4-C5 there is a small disc osteophyte complex as well as bilateral unconvertebral joint hypertrophy. There is no central spinal canal stenosis.

C5-6: broad disc osteophyte complex as well as mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy and moderate left side neural forminal stenosis.

Thank you for your help.

Janie

nafl99

Post by nafl99 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 am

gr wrote:Hi Janie,

I just joined the group, trying to find help for my pinched nerve. It's also from a bone spur cevical spine. It has been bothering me for 5 months - my doctor says I need a steroid injexction, but I am trying to find exercises or another way to releive the pressure. I took 2 courses of steroid pills- they really helped, but the effects were temporary. So have you found any help since you posted in Sept? I wish I could help you, but so far, I am still searching. Good luck,

gr
groominggal wrote:I just received the results of my MRI and as of yet have not seen my neurologist. Based on the results that I hope someone here will understand, can you tell me what course of treatment you would suggest?

Thank you for your help.

Janie

I am in my fourth year of dealing with a c6 issue. After 3 years of treatment I finally got the surgery to have a bone spur removed. Heres a summary of what I went through

2005: had a severe pain and burning in my shoulder. saw an orthopaedist. Got several injections (don't know the name but wasn't cortizone) they didn't work since the doctor was treating my shoulder, not my spine. Didn't know it was my spine until i went to a massage therapist. She recommended a chiropractor that used a tool called an activator. It worked! in three sessions, my pains was completely gone.

2006: exactly one year later, the pain came back. went back to the chiropractor for the activator. after about ten treatments the pain didn't go away. I went to a spine doctor and he recommended a cortizone shot. It was an epidoral. It worked! Within 24 hours, my pain was completely gone. On a side note, my mother in law recommended a lady who performed "quantum healing". As an engineer, I believe in quantum physics, but what a quack. This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. I tried to "believe" but the lady had too many of her own issues for me to buy into it.

2007. The pain came back about nine months later. The cortizone wore off. I went back and they gave me another cortizone epidoral. It didn't work at all. This was the worst pain I have ever been in. The doctor recommeded surgery at this point. The MRI's showed a small bone spur. after 3-4 months of literally being completely immobilized I agreed to the surgery. I had the surgery on August 1, and the pain was gone upon waking up from the anethesia. I was exactic. The incission was done from the back. Most are done from the front. DO NOT get surgery if they want to go in through the front (of your neck). My surgery was done at twin cities spine center. They were great.

On a side note, I did have the steroid injections. If you do it, you will find out what a true 10/10 out of ten pain is. They will tweak your nerves with a needle until they find the right one and then shoot an injection into it. it ook about 80 percent of the pain away, but I would argue if that experience was worth it. I got the surgery a few weeks later.

2008: about a week ago, 16 months after the surgery, my pain is back and worse than ever. I am so freaking depressed and if I didn't have children I swear I would kill myself. It is quite soothing, actually, to think about death as an alternative. It's worse than paralysis because it hurts so freaking bad. But worse is the lack of sleep.

Pain sucks, but I feel like I can handle it better than anyone. I am an accomplished athlete. Played rugby and football for more than 20 years (I turn 40 in a week) had many broken bones, operations on my knee and shoulder and all kinds of problems, but never have i been in pain like this. Handling the pain is one thing, but the lack of sleep and the torture of watching your family pull away from you is almost unbearable. I am a grown man, and literally break down crying almost daily. It's mortifying.
I lost about 3 months of work leading up to the surgery and ended up falling behind on my mortgage. i lost my health insurance and my house is now foreclosed on. We have to move out on January 5th. I am working my ass off, in a chair doing web sites and real estate brokering. I don't even know how to do it but it's the only thing I can do to make money.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself I've decided to channel my problems to see if I can help others deal with it instead. That's why I am responding to your post.

I recently found something that's encouraging. i copied and pasted this from a web site:

Spinal Decompression of Minnesota has developed a "Secret Formula" that provides a non-surgical, non-invasive treatment for disc related syndromes of the lumbar and cervical spine using the DRX 9000 Spinal Decompression System. We utilize the most advanced diagnostic technology available in order to accurately assess your problems and determine if spinal decompression therapy is the answer.

I don't buy into the snake oil salesman tactics, so i did my own research. Thre is a machine called the DRX 90000 and it has an attachment called a DRX9000c that does the cervical.

I interviewed the doctor. the only difference behind this machine and regular traction is that it uses muscle confusion in order to get a true traction without the muscles around the spine from resisting.

Anyway, I have to get another MRI oce I can figure out how to pay for it and then I will try the treatment on the machine. I have nothing else left. I will follow up with you after I do the treatment.

Until then advil and ice packs work best.

gr

Post by gr » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

nafl99, I am sorry to read about all you have been through. Thank you for writing this- I need to learn all I can and there seem to be many less people with cervical neck issues than with lower back issues, and so fewer experts in treating it. I haven't found anyone here yet with the expertise I'd like to find. I've never heard of an activator or quantum healing. But my approach is like yours- I'll check into anything.

This problem first occurred for me 6 years ago. really bad pain in my arm and at the cervical spine locations. I had PT. They would give me traction and it helped for about 30 minutes. also exercises. I tried not to take advil- the best thing for me then was a heating pad (rice in the microwave). It went away after 3 months.

Then 6 years later it returned. The MRI shows that not much has changed since the last time, which a good sign, but this time, my symptoms are different and it is not going away. This time, I have numbness in the finger next to my thumb, and oftewn feel like I stuck my hand in a light socket all the way up the arm from that finger. As the day goes on, I get roaming pain in my arm, elbow, like someone is sqeezing it. This time, the PT did nothing to help. I can't do the exercises, so I don't think I should do them. The traction didn't help at all. My time is up with PT anyway. I'm in pain when I wake up, but after an hour, I feel almost normal. By around 3, the pain ramps up and at night, it is bad, sometimes really bad. I try not to drive or go out after 3, but that's when I have to drive kids and drive to work, part-time, thankfully so I can manage it. This has kept me from adding hours. It's much worse when I drive or sit for long periods. The heat helps. I was taking Advil this time every 6 hours, but it seemed that it would wear off after 2 hours or not at all, so now I just take it sometimes. Another thing that helps is the topical pads with Ben Gay. When I used my aunt's lidocaine patches, they helped, but that's a narcotic, so I prefer Ben Gay anyway.

As for the cortisone shots, my sdoctor wanted me to get them, but I kmow of someoen who had their artery injected accidentally and died, not likely, but still, for something that seems to have a short effect, it doesn't seem worth it. I am thinking about surgery- have heard there is a minmally invasive kind- I wonder if it is the one you had. I've also heard of that DRX 9000 from reading online, but don't know much about it.

Another thing that has helped me sleep is a product by NaturalCare called SleepFix. I was looking for something mild, but to keep me from constantly waking up from pain. Maybe you should try it.

So next week, I am going to make an appointment with somebody new and hope it will give mne a clue- I've had acupuncture and massage recommended, and might go to a physiatrist and arthritis md to see their take...What I want to find is someone who can tell me an exercise that will release the nerve from pressure, or some new form of pain control. I am also searching for herbal and nutrition support. I take glucosamine sulfate (better than HCl), fish oil- definitely take fish oil....I use an topical arnica gel that helps sometimes...try to eat alot of ginger, turmeric and cinamon, and drink green tea..and drink more water than I used to- all this to support any chance of cartilage growth.

Was your cortisone epidural the same as a steroid injection? For your surgery, was that to remove the bone spur? Oh and the benefits of the surgery only lasted 16 months?! I am so sorry. What did your surgeon say to expect? Please send me an update and if I learn anything new, I will write. Thanks.

seabound

Post by seabound » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15 pm

My chiropractor uses the activator ... it seems to help when adjusting

maliha3492

Post by maliha3492 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi i am new comer to this site. I am very happy to join this site. I gathered lot of information from this site.