extreme pain - right side

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

extreme pain - right side

Postby vaniguy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 pm

Hello, i am a 35 year old male who needs some advice. I returned to a physical job after 10 years at a desk job. It started about 3 months ago with my chest ( right side) hurting when I coughed - then my bi-cep/tri-ceps, forearm, neck and so on - ithought i was just overworked, as the pain was only present in the evenings. I ended up returning to my desk job and thats when the pain really came on full force - 24/7 - I have never experienced pain like this - i can't lie on my back, can barely sleep - i'm taking morphine which isn't really working - I just paid $875 for a cervical mri which showed osteophyte( bone spur) at c5-7 but no herniation - I believe the problem with my chest is related to my 'thoratic' area which unfortunately would cost me anothe $875 to have scanned - I have seen a chiropractor 3 times this week and I'm really scared to carry with it - any advice?
vaniguy

Postby Dean » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Vaniguy,

Hard to give you any advice without knowing a lot more about what's going on. I'm not sure your problem is even spinal related.

Have you seen a real doctor yet?

What did they think the problem was?

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby vaniguy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Dean, i have been seeing my M.D. all along.. the reason I paid for the MRI was to speed up the diagnosis . Since I got the results, he has referred me to a neurologist.I went to the chiropractor on my own andhaven't returned after reading the posts here. I started massage therapy which is helping somewhat, I can feel my thumb and finger again, and I saw a Naturopth today to look at accupuncture. After that appointment in addition to my current problem, he also stated I showed the signs of classic 'cushing's disease'!!! Man... hit 30's and what a bummer.
vaniguy

Postby Dean » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi vaniguy,

I apologize for not responding sooner.

Here's some info about Cushing's Disease:

Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.

Women usually have excess hair growth on their faces, necks, chests, abdomens, and thighs. Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop. Men have decreased fertility with diminished or absent desire for sex.

http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/cus ... shings.htm

Symptoms include rapid weight gain, particularly of the trunk and face with sparing of the limbs (central obesity), a round face often referred to as a "moon face", excess sweating, telangiectasia (dilation of capillaries), thinning of the skin (which causes easy bruising) and other mucous membranes, purple or red striae (also caused by thinning of the skin) on the trunk, buttocks, arms, legs or breasts, proximal muscle weakness (hips, shoulders), and hirsutism (facial male-pattern hair growth). A common sign is the growth of fat pads along the collar bone and on the back of the neck (known as a buffalo hump). The excess cortisol may also affect other endocrine systems and cause, for example, reduced libido, impotence, amenorrhoea and infertility. Patients frequently suffer various psychological disturbances, ranging from euphoria to frank psychosis. Depression and anxiety, including panic attacks, are common.

Other signs include persistent hypertension (due to the aldosterone-like effects) and insulin resistance, leading to hyperglycemia (high blood sugars) which can lead to diabetes mellitus. Untreated Cushing's syndrome can lead to heart disease and increased mortality. Cushing's syndrome due to excess ACTH may also result in hyperpigmentation of the skin, due to its ability to stimulate melanocyte receptors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushings_syndrome

Do any of these symptoms sound like you're situation? If so, your MD should have been able to diagnose and properly treat this condition.

There's nothing a naturopath, chiropractor or acupuncturist can do to treat real medical conditions.

I've been a natural health advocate for over 35 years and I have a very low opinion of these people who pose as "natural healers" and attempt to pass themselves off as doctors. Most of them are quacks and kooks.

The only question you should concern yourself with is what does the real doctor think it is?

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

upper back and chest pain

Postby mo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 am

Just wondering if you have had a nerve conduction test or if there has been any mention of thoracic outlet syndrome. The few symptoms you mentioned sound familiar to me as I have had TOS.

Did the physical job you had require repetitive motion?

What has the neurologist said?

Hope you are better soon.
mo

Postby vaniguy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks for all the information.
I appologize in taking so long to respond... things have been hectic.

As far as the cushings goes... my doctor did a blood test where i took a dose of cortizone at midnight at went in the next morning to get blood taken. The results were mailed to me and they said everything was normal. I passed that info onto the naturopath and he said that was just one of many possible tests... anyway, I stopped seeing him, and the massage therapist.

I decided to wait and see the neurosurgeon. He wants to do a anterioir cervical disc fusion in 1 - 4 months.

I actually felt great for about a month with minimal pain and believed I was actually healing. Life was grand... and then out of nowhere the pain came right back full throttle.

At least the ibuprofen seems to help.
vaniguy

Postby Dean » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:26 am

Hi Vaniguy,

I read back through the thread to refresh my memory and I noticed the only thing you haven't mentioned trying is physical therapy.

I would strongly urge you to try rebuilding before you go the surgery route. Read through the many posts in the forum here and you'll find countless success stories of people who were able to resolve spine related problems simply by rebuilding the support structure.

It's no accident that I named this forum "The Rebuilder's Forum." Surgery should only be considered as a last resort. It usually creates as many problems as it solves. Physical therapy has no negative after effects.

You can always try the surgery later.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby nafl99 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:48 am

vaniguy wrote:Thanks for all the information.
I appologize in taking so long to respond... things have been hectic.

As far as the cushings goes... my doctor did a blood test where i took a dose of cortizone at midnight at went in the next morning to get blood taken. The results were mailed to me and they said everything was normal. I passed that info onto the naturopath and he said that was just one of many possible tests... anyway, I stopped seeing him, and the massage therapist.

I decided to wait and see the neurosurgeon. He wants to do a anterioir cervical disc fusion in 1 - 4 months.

I actually felt great for about a month with minimal pain and believed I was actually healing. Life was grand... and then out of nowhere the pain came right back full throttle.

At least the ibuprofen seems to help.

Vaniguy,

looking for an update from you. How is everything?
nafl99

Hello friends,

Postby sharonbaker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Back pain is a big problem in my case. I am unable to see down continuously because of back pain. I am doing some exercise like neck rotation, side neck flexion etc but i didn't get any type of relax. I hope you have a some option for me. I will look forward for your better answer. Thanks in advance...
sharonbaker

pain meds?

Postby kris1980 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am

Hi there! I experienced the same problem years ago, though I don't think we have the same diagnosis. My physician told me to buy [edit] every time it hurts. It's a narcotic drug so I need to watch myself as well. My doc said it's just due to stress.

Note: Edited by admin for obvious reasons.
kris1980

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain