Severe Stenosis with Herniation

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

Severe Stenosis with Herniation

Postby JD » Wed May 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello. I'm a 45 year old male with a recently herniated disk at c5-c6. My MRI showed the bulge, as well as severe stenosis across the entire lower portion of cervical spine. I selected a neurosurgeon instead of an orthopedic surgeon, and he has recommended a triple level artificial disk replacement for C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7. Having been an avid athlete my whole life, I am extremely disheartened by the entire thing and extremely afraid that surgery is the wrong approach. I am hoping for advice from those of you who may have been or are in similar situations, and what has worked or not worked for you.

Does anyone know if Dean's approach can help with the tingling, bulged disk even after it's been a full 4 weeks with no change? Also, is there anything that can be done to open the spinal canal to reverse the stenosis?

Thanks in advance to all who respond...
JD

Re: Severe Stenosis with Herniation

Postby ScottF » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

JD wrote:Hello. I'm a 45 year old male with a recently herniated disk at c5-c6. My MRI showed the bulge, as well as severe stenosis across the entire lower portion of cervical spine. I selected a neurosurgeon instead of an orthopedic surgeon, and he has recommended a triple level artificial disk replacement for C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7. Having been an avid athlete my whole life, I am extremely disheartened by the entire thing and extremely afraid that surgery is the wrong approach. I am hoping for advice from those of you who may have been or are in similar situations, and what has worked or not worked for you.

Does anyone know if Dean's approach can help with the tingling, bulged disk even after it's been a full 4 weeks with no change? Also, is there anything that can be done to open the spinal canal to reverse the stenosis?

Thanks in advance to all who respond...

How is your neck injury coming along> Are you healing? I have 3 bulges in the same places you do and stenosis as well. Two of mine were 1-2 MM and the other was 2-3mm. Were yours larger?
ScottF

C6-7 radiculopathy "pinched nerve"

Postby SusanB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

hello -

Injured my cervical spine 2 months ago I believe doing yoga (shoulder stand into plow pose). I had pain and spasms for 2-3 weeks but later took oral steroids which seemed to knock out the pain. Left with severe right triceps weakness and a numb right index finger and the adjacent side of my middle finger has a numb sensation. I had an MRI which showed I had marked narrowing at the C-6 neuroforamen.

So I have a "pinched nerve" at C6-7 and was told I need decompressive surgery...which I very much want to avoid. I don't have pain and I'm told that the surgery (most likely an ACDF) is not a guarantee to fix the weakness. but that if I wait, my chance of gaining recovery of my triceps strength lessens. I am right hand dominant. My right hand is also crampy and computer work is difficult.

Am curious if anyone has avoided surgery and gotten their strength back? I am feeling pressured to make a decision about surgery and that time is not on my side.
SusanB

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain