Can Tooth Cavities Heal?

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

Postby DrWill » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:58 am

randolph wrote:Thanks for the respectful debate/discussion, DrWill and Dean. Thanks for being gentlemen, you two.

I would only add, that I think DrWill's analogy between the physiological damage behind some back problems, and a cavity in a tooth is not accurate. The body, apparently, does not repair cavities in teeth, so we need to go to the dentist; but there does seem to be a lot of evidence to indicate that the body heals disc abnormalities sometimes ... thus the accuracy and wisdom behind Dean's assertion that some back problems do not indicate a need for medical intervention.

Randolph

Hey Randolph,

I like to be polite and respectful of other opinions. I see others on this forum have the same belief.

I agree - medical intervention is not indicated in all back pain - not even most of it. A very small % of people will ever see any professional as a result of their back pain. This is widely agreed upon. The same sentiment can be said of almost any medical condition. How many times has the "1st sign of a heart problems is the attack itself" statement been used.

The truth is this: your body is a self healing organism. The immune system in will prevent and reduce the bacteria in your mouth which cause cavities - brushing only helps/aids it. The body heals ligaments, nerves, discs, muscles all the time by replacing/healing damaged cells.

From Prevention Magazine
How Does A Tooth Heal?
Dr. Nara told us just how much healing could be expected from a tooth: "It ranges from some little pinpoint cavities here and there all the way to a tooth that's rotted right off at the gum line, you're not going to grow a whole new crown on it. The little ones will heal, remineralize up to about two millimeters deep. What will happen in a tooth that is severely decayed is that the stump will firm up. Instead of being soft and mushy, it develops a leathery consistency. A healed tooth will remain resistant to decay as long as the oral conditions are beneficial."

Erling Johansen, D.M.D., Ph.D., a dental researcher at the University of Rochester, also told PREVENTION that teeth can heal themselves. "The extent of remineralization depends on the location of the cavity. If the cavity is in an area where the saliva has access to it - and if you have sufficient saliva - that cavity can be hardened. The cavity won't progress any further. If the person decides he or she wants it filled for aesthetic reasons, you can just touch it up a bit. The drilling is much simpler, then."

Everything will heal to an extent. But, sometimes intervention is necessary.

Cheers

DrWill
DrWill

"Can tooth cavities heal?"

Postby jwtravel » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:17 am

Since both my parents are dentists, I can say affirmatively that as a cavity approaches the pulp, secondary dentin is formed in the area of decay (from the pulp side) and this prolongs the survival of the pulp before the decay "breaks through". My mom told me that decay always wins the race. In a way, this is a cavity being healed.
jwtravel

Postby fruitypuds » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 am

Have you looked at the work of Weston Price?

Dental decay is largely due to bacteria but many carry them and don't get cavities. Weak enamel (i.e. susceptibility to cavities) is largely due to nutritional deficiencies from both parents, but can be partially reversed and certainly avoid passing on to the next generation.
fruitypuds

Postby laurahill » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 am

Tooth cavity can be curable by taking proper dental treatment..I think you should consult with well experience dentist.
And stop eating processed and refined food like sweet foods.Eat more amount of raw and nutrient dense food.
laurahill

Postby Charles11 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 am

Cavities do not have to be permanent. They can be remineralized if enough fluoride can come in contact with the decay. But if the decay is too large the outer layer may become remineralized but the under the remineralized section there still can be some active decay. Cavities can be filled with tooth colored fillings, or with a silver filling (Amalgam). They can not "heal" like skin. (By the way porcelain is not part of your natural tooth; it can be placed over a metal crown to be more esthetically acceptable)
Charles11

Postby Marvin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49 am

Tooth cavity can be reduced by taking proper dental treatment.
Marvin

Re: Can Tooth Cavities Heal?

Postby Osbaldo_07 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:57 am

My father is a dentist in Manhattan Beach. So I have little but enough knowledge about tooth cavity.Treatment of cavities depends on how severe they are and your particular situation. It also varies according to babies, toddlers, children, and adults.
Osbaldo_07

Return to General Health Topics