PDF formatting/size

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
Paul B. Henson

PDF formatting/size

Post by Paul B. Henson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:32 pm

I actually came across your site while researching the "TrueBack" product. I've had ongoing lower back pain for well over a decade, with at least one or two minor sprains every year and at least half a dozen "barely walk" sprains.

The posting I had found helped convince me not to waste my money on another gimmick, and while reading some of your other articles on the site I found your point of view very interesting. I decided to go ahead and drop $40 to download your books (the "TrueBack" is like $80, so in a way you saved me $40). I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through the back book, but I plan to sit down and read it all and put together an exercise plan this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed...

But to get to the point, while the actual content of your books is only 6x9, the PDF containing them has a full page size of 8.5x11. As such, if you try to read them on an actual e-reader, the content is tiny in the middle surrounded by a bunch of empty space. Some readers allow easy cropping, others require you to run an oversized PDF through a converter utility, and still others simply can't accommodate it. As well, if you want to print it out, there is a lot of wasted paper. I wanted to print it 2up duplex (a total of four pages per physical piece of paper), and had to run it through a PDF utility to crop it to actual size to make it fit.

It would be nice if the actual books themselves had PDF page sizes in line with the actual content size. That was fairly easy to do with Acrobat professional. If you want, I could send you the cropped PDF files for comparison.

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. Yes, if it's not too much trouble attach them to an email and I'll take a look.

I'm not that savvy with e-readers and pdf files. I was doing good to get the book layout in a format that would look decent and that I could easily have printed in hardcopy someday.

Dean

Paul B. Henson

cropped ebooks

Post by Paul B. Henson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Dean wrote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, if it's not too much trouble attach them to an email and I'll take a look.
I sent them to the donations address, let me know if you don't receive them...