So why chiro (seems to) give good relief from pain?

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
Post Reply
Abooga
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 am

So why chiro (seems to) give good relief from pain?

Post by Abooga » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:21 am

Hello everyone, I´m new here.

I have a bad back too, but I´ll leave that for some other day, at the moment I´m more worried about my girlfriend. She has started visiting a chiropractor, one of those quacks that says that illnesses are not caused by bacillums, warns about the "silent killer" etc.

The problem is that she has really recovered from very intense pain thanks to this "Dr." I´m trying to convince her to go to an osteopath or some other "real" doctor, but her experience makes her trust this chiropractor and she wants to keep visiting him. I´ve read some explanations as to why back pains arise in this website, but I still find it hard to understand the chiro´s rapid success in this case. (It´s the second time he fixes my girlfriend, years ago she had a similar case and healed her in just one session, while another fisiotherapist and a general practicioner had no success)

So I don´t know how to convince her to seek someone else for this kind of treatments. Could anyone please help?

Why did the re-alignement work if back pains are not caused by misalignements?
If pains are caused by sore ligaments how does the chiro manipulation "heal" them so quickly?
Which other specialist could have done that kind of manipulation, an osteopath perhaps?

Thank you in advance, I hope I get some answe before next monday (next programmed chiro session for her)

Russa
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 pm

Post by Russa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:59 pm

If the treatment is relieving her pain, why are you so upset about her going? She knows her back, and only she really will know what is working. No harm done. And if, as some claim, the pain in all in the head, or caused by stress, or pressure points on the feet, pulled ligaments, etc.... and the chiropractic is only a placebo, who cares, as long as it works. That really is the scientific way. Observe outcomes and then go with the process that gives you the desired outcome.

I don't know her problems, but I have gone to the chiropractor on and off in my life. I did feel relief going. The only problem is that I am not rich enough to be on a treatment plan for the rest of my life and as soon as I stop going, my back hurts again. I want to cure my pain, or be able to at least manage it on my own. Chiropractors for me, have been the healthier form of pain killers. As soon as the popping wears off though (so to speak), I'm back in the same soup I was before. But I have never suffered ill effects from going. They just weren't lasting effects. That is why my search continues.

Abooga
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 am

Post by Abooga » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:00 am

Russa wrote:If the treatment is relieving her pain, why are you so upset about her going? She knows her back, and only she really will know what is working. No harm done..
Well, since chiropractic is an unscientific (and as some say, dangerous) practice, I am worried. Feeling momentarily better doesn´t mean she´s being healed. If someone you love goes to a whitch doctor, takes some magic herbs and feels better, would you trust the obvious quack just for that reason?
Russa wrote: And if, as some claim, the pain in all in the head, or caused by stress, or pressure points on the feet, pulled ligaments, etc.... and the chiropractic is only a placebo, who cares, as long as it works. That really is the scientific way.
What´s scientific about chiropractic? Specially the kind that my girlfriend is going to, negating germ theory, pushing silly health advise (disinformation more like). Check it out if you can read spanish: saludvertebral dot com
Russa wrote: I don't know her problems, but I have gone to the chiropractor on and off in my life. I did feel relief going. The only problem is that I am not rich enough to be on a treatment plan for the rest of my life and as soon as I stop going, my back hurts again. I want to cure my pain, or be able to at least manage it on my own. Chiropractors for me, have been the healthier form of pain killers. As soon as the popping wears off though (so to speak), I'm back in the same soup I was before. But I have never suffered ill effects from going. They just weren't lasting effects. That is why my search continues.
Yes, I´m trying to do some research too, that´s why I wrote in this forum.

So far, I have concluded that spinal manipulation probably works for certain ailments, but can be dangerous (or at best innocuous) for other kind of lesions. The problem is that diagnosing many back conditions seems to be IMPOSSIBLE (currently). So one would have to be very lucky to get diagnosed correctly, and treated correctly... The situation of current medicine regarding back injuries seems to be rather primitive and undeveloped, IMO.

So we´re left with sticking to trial and error, trying different physicians, different schools to see what works. Not the best situation by any means...

Post Reply