daily supplements

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
DrWill

daily supplements

Post by DrWill » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Just curious what types of supplements people here take every day or regularly?

Just an informal poll if you will...

DrWill

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:52 pm

I'm currently taking a multi-vitamin, mineral supplement that includes a good allotment of B complex. I also take a liquid amino acid (protein) product.

Over the years, I've taken a whole slew of supplements all of which I've discontinued because they just seemed to be a complete waste of money.

I've only recently started in again taking the above mentioned products just to see if I can tell the difference.

Dean

DrWill

Post by DrWill » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:00 am

I take a whole food supplement called JuicePlus, also fish oil for omega-3 source and a b-complex. I noticed a greater sense of energy after starting the JuicePlus, if just subtly.

Dean, what is the amino supposed to help with?

DrWill

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 pm

The liquid amino acids are part of an experiment I'm doing. Normally they're used by bodybuilders and other athletes to supplement protein intake for the purpose of muscle building. However, I'm not taking them for that purpose. I get enough protein from my diet.

The experiment has to do with energy levels and comparing different brands and supplement combinations. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it since it's not necessarily something I'll continue once the experiment is over. Depends on the final results.

If I find out anything interesting, I'll probably put it in a blog post.

DrWill

Post by DrWill » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:24 am

Dean,

Sounds interesting - hope your experiment yields you the results you are looking for.

The topic of protein reminded me of this - did you see the recent JAMA article comparing the effectiveness of 4 different popular diets? Funny enough, the Atkins no/low carb diet reigned supreme. The conventional wisdom we have always had about about low fat high carb diets is just not true.

In case you havent seen the article:

The A TO Z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial

or Goto jama website and search for Atkins diet - dated march 7, 2007

I tried the Atkins diet once upon a time - I did lose weight and felt good, but, wow, I missed my bread products. Eating a cheeseburger with no bun is just flat out WRONG, lol.

DrWill

[Note: Link added by admin]

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:44 am

Too bad they didn't include the South Beach Diet in the study. I haven't paid much attention to the popular diets, but it (South Beach) sounds like a more sensible, balanced program from what little I've heard about it.

I've never heard of the Ornish or LEARN diets.

Dean

DrWill

Post by DrWill » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:05 am

I have also never heard of the LEARN diet - but Dean Ornish, MD is HUGE. Do a webmd search for him, tons of books and literature about his programs.

randolph

Post by randolph » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 am

Dr Will

I used to take way too many supplements; fewer digestive disorders (and fatter wallet) when I stopped taking any for a couple months last year.

I have since added a daily multiple; vitamin C (like the taste mostly); vitamin B-12 (I'm vegetarian); green tea supplement (mostly for the caffeine when there's no coffee or tea available); omega-3 (I'm ADHD like my son and saw it help him .... maybe).

Dr. Dean Edell (who went to med school because of parents who got rich manufacturing supplements) claims nearly all supplements are essentially worthless, and only "seem" to work because of the placebo effect. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

Randolph

DrWill

Post by DrWill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:09 am

Hey Randolph -

I would agree, much of the supplements people routinely take end up in the waste treatment plant. I have seen the documentaries showing mountains of non-dissolved vitamin supplements which end up in rivers, streams, and water treatment plants. I think the question comes down to the quality of the supplement and if your body can absorb it. I think "bio-available" is the buzzword for it.

I have seen some empirical results with the juice plus I take, but I am not endorsing it by any means, dont take it that way. I, like others, believe certain supplements are valuable.

You were getting digestive problems from the quantity of supplements you were taking? Wow. I hope that has resolved for you.

I guess too much of a good thing?

Will

randolph

Post by randolph » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 am

Yes, Will, too much of mostly-not-so-good things.

One of my counter-productive self-treatments in response to my disc herniation 9/05 was to dramatically increase supplementation. Superficially my idea was plausible: many tissues were injured; the supplements would provide the building blocks for the body's healing. I got warm, fuzzy feelings of self-congratulatory satisfaction from taking all the stuff (aren't I smart, etc), but physically, just produced a magnificently glowing green (I kid you not) poop and pee, and a lot of annoying gas. 6 months after the initial injury, I visited a local GP who keeps up with current medical research ... and received his pronouncements of how each and almost everything I was taking was definitely shown by double-blind research to be a waste of money (chondroiton, glucosamine, shark cartilage, lecithin, barley grass powder, brewer's yeast, to name a few). My poop/pee returned to normal the day after I stopped loading up on the junk ... (and the gas stopped ... much to the delight of my family).

So, yes, "bio-available" is definitely an issue.

Randolph