rolfing

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
redshoes

rolfing

Post by redshoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:57 am

Has anyone had any experience with rolfing? One of my dance instructors told me it really helped her for back pain, however my family doc says definately no. she did recommend chiropractic and no physical therapy. i have decided against chiropractic since it is very expensive and comments in the forum suggest it doen't help. I am on the waiting list to see a physiatrist but can't get an appointment fir a consult until April 6. tthe reason is there are only 2 of these doctors in the whole tri-city area where I live. I spoke with both offices. The other one wanted to give me an epiderial. I think I can do without that just using Dean' s book. thanks for any feedback.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:34 pm

I've never had any direct personal experience with Rolfing. I've read about it and have an opinion about it, but until I actually have time to do more extensive research into it, it wouldn't be fair or objective for me to say much about it.

I can say I've heard from a lot of people who have tried it and said it did not work. But that is only anecdotal evidence and should not be taken in lieu of real scientific research.

Dean

redshoes

rolfing

Post by redshoes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks Dean. I decided to just do RYB and wait for the appointment with the Dr in April. I do like massage and have been getting them regularly. I don't know that it helps the back but it helps relax the tight leg muscles and I think generally helps remove toxins from the body.

bslayers

Rolfing fits right in with rebuilding our backs

Post by bslayers » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 am

There are only a couple of hundred Certified Rolfers in the US and there are 4 in my small town area. The purpose of Rolfing is to manipulate the muscles/ligaments back to their proper position. Rolfing is not a massage and the reason it is uncomfortable is due to the movement of the muscle/ligaments. Dean talks about how Chiropractors manipulation of the spine is only temporary due to the mis-alignment being caused by our ligaments pulling the body out of position, as soon as I read that I thought of how Rolfing is a perfect fit for getting our bodies back in order. Rolfing has been used on my son who has scoliosis. He started the sessions with a very crooked spine and after a series of sessions his spine is straight and has stayed straight for over a year. One other interesting point, is that a experienced Rolfer can feel the inflammed nerves and make changes as needed to help the nerve settle down.
Hope this information is helpful.

Steve

jayray_5

Rolfing

Post by jayray_5 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:18 pm

I had severe sciatica over 25 years ago and nothing helped. It started out feeling like I fell on my wallet and became agony. I went to chiropractors who made it much worse with their lack of consistent treatment. My girlfriend at the time swore by rolfing. I had no relief for three sessions and then something interesting happened. My posture improved and I "grew" 3/4 of an inch! I did the whole regimen of ten sessions and never looked back. I now walk straighter, wear my shoe heels out evenly, and don't need a conscious effort to do so. It worked for me very very well!
I feel about six feet three weeks ago and have a compression fracture of L3 with major pain. Finding a Rolfer will be part of my rehabilitation as well as other alternative methods.

JEC

Re: rolfing

Post by JEC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:45 am

redshoes wrote:Has anyone had any experience with rolfing? One of my dance instructors told me it really helped her for back pain, however my family doc says definately no. she did recommend chiropractic and no physical therapy. i have decided against chiropractic since it is very expensive and comments in the forum suggest it doen't help. I am on the waiting list to see a physiatrist but can't get an appointment fir a consult until April 6. tthe reason is there are only 2 of these doctors in the whole tri-city area where I live. I spoke with both offices. The other one wanted to give me an epiderial. I think I can do without that just using Dean' s book. thanks for any feedback.
I did the ten series with an advanced rolfer about a decade ago with incredible results. I went from chronic pain to my back being 100% pain free and strong. I was in martial arts at the time and I was literally able to pick people up over my head, no problem after the series.

Although he had made my body like new, which lasted for several years, I eventually squandered the results when I quit exercising and started spending almost all my time sitting at the desk. Unfortunately he had moved to another state and I haven't found anyone nearly as good. I think that there can be a huge difference in skill level between a rolfer, newly advanced rolfer, and an advanced rolfer who has been practicing for decades.

Bikegirl

Post by Bikegirl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:38 am

Hi,

I went to a Rolfer in the province of Quebec. I went to a few treatments with him his name is Jim Lewis in Montreal.

Rolfing is EXTREMELY hard on your body. It does work on deeper body tissues such as psoas muscles for example. But imagine how many layers of muscles must be moved in order to get to the psoas?

I had good results from the treatment, but it didn't solve my problem. Jim could realignment my pelvis and SI joint and work all those ligaments, but GOD the pain of the treatment was so hard core that I was taking pain meds prior to the appointment. It would take me a fews days to recup from it too.

I must say Jim is very good to work with, he listens to his patients and works with them. He gives out information and really care about your problem.

Good luck,
Bikegirl