BEST BEDS FOR BACKS

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
ANGIE

BEST BEDS FOR BACKS

Post by ANGIE » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:11 pm

WOULD ANYONE BE WILLING TO SHARE THEIR EXPERTISE IN CHOOSING A BED FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE SLEEP PROBLEMS DUE TO BACK AND HIP PAIN? ARE THE TEMPUR-PEDIC TYPES OR SLEEP NUMBER BEDS OF HELP WITH THIS?

Sherry

Post by Sherry » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi Angie,

I think the consensus is that the best bed is the one that you like the best. I know the sleep comfort beds offer a 30-day in home trial and I would think that the tempur-pedic store might do the same.

Neither bed will fix the problem so it comes down to a matter of choice.

Sherry

Mike12

Post by Mike12 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:21 am

We ended up with a 2" thick viscous foam (tempur-pedic) pad for the bed. The thickness provided alot of support for the back and also we tended to stop as much tossing and turning at night. We got ours through a foam distributor in town.

ryanmitton

tried many beds, always felt better with a hard one

Post by ryanmitton » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 am

Hi. When my wife and I were just dating, I always slept better at her place. it was one of those 'cheap' ikea beds with a fairly hard mattres, no box spring, and the wooden slats under the mattress. i had a protruding disk in lumbar, so when i'd wake up with no pain....i noticed.

then i had to travel to thailand on business a few times, and the beds over there are HARD. And again, I awoke with zero back pain.

So, I started to think about it. I sleep on my back. imagine your spine when you sleep on your back in a soft bed, in the center of your body you sag, and that essentially mimicks bending over, or 'loads' the disc towards the rear. every day i would awake with excruciating pain we all know and hate on this board, on my soft bed. So, I went to ikea, bought the hardest freaken mattress i could, kept the box spring, removed the old mattress (which was actually new, and a 3K mattress!!!!) and honestly i have never again awoke wit back pain. makes perfect sense if you think about body sagging and where it pushes the disc.

the ikea mattress (king size) was only 259 dollars, and we had it delivered for another fifty bucks.

that's my experience with beds and backs.