Response to Dean's blog on nutritional/herbal supplements

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
randolph 2

Response to Dean's blog on nutritional/herbal supplements

Post by randolph 2 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 am

Hey Dean!

Great UNcommon GOODsense regarding OTC herbal and nutritional supplements in your recent blog.

Most of the "information" we have kicking around in our brains about these products is advertising hype.

Most of the products, for example, chondroitin and glucosamine and shark cartilage, are proven useless by clinical trial.

Some are positively dangerous in combination with many prescription meds. Be sure to mention to your doc or pharmacist which supplements your are taking so they can look up any potentially harmful drug interactions.

Some are dangerous because way too many folks self-medicate with these OTC potions and think they're taking care of a medical problem. Essentially they are doing nothing for a condition that will only get better with professional medical attention, hoping to save money (which is understandable) but end up losing their lives. Case in point: my sis recently died from breast cancer. Her response to her cancer diagnosis was to follow the recommendations of famous quack Kevin Trudeau (author of many informercial classics like Secrets the Medical Establishment Doesn't Want You to Know); she died a year after her cancer diagnosis from a cancer that had a very good chance of responding to standard medical care.

And NONE of them are regulated by the FDA so there's no guarantee you're getting what the label sez. This might be changing soon; thankfully, there is a movement afoot in Washington to make nutritional supplement and herbal remedy manufacturers as accountable for their products as prescription med manufacturers.

Randolph

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey randolph,

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to have you back posting again. I'm sure a lot of people around here have missed your input.

I know I have.

Dean