I cannot control my eating of junk food

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.
Boscco

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Post by Boscco » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.

randolph 2

Post by randolph 2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 am

Hello Boscco

I'll tell you what's worked for me; from the little you've written, seems you are where I was at 10 years ago in my struggle with weight ... and now I'm a fit 56, 6'0" and 165 lbs (charts say "normal BMI"). So what worked for me might help you.

Check out the South Beach Diet. You'll ultimately have to abandon the junky foods (you're not "addicted" to them ... just stupidly valued the short-term time/money savings of buying the stuff over the long-term weight gain problems ... but now that you're seeing that, you look motivated to make the switch to a healthier diet); this diet have worked for me over the long-haul. Big clue: abandon quick fix diets that promise fast weight loss, and look for reasonable losses (1-3 lbs/wk) over the long haul with a diet you can live with for years.

Exercise. We're NOT talking Gold's Gym; just find something you like to do, and do more of it. You can maintain a healthy weight by moving enough to burn up the extra that's now growing around your middle. Start small (even 5 minutes of walking each day will whet your appetite for more ... assuming no chronic disabilities, our bodies love to move and you'll naturally want to do more). Walking, bike riding, hiking, stair climbing, gardening, the basic exercises Dean recommends ... all stuff you can do for cheap. I started with just 5 minutes of stretching each day and now, 10 years later, do a vigorous, varied 1 hr workout each day and get more and more motivated as I get fitter and buffer and stronger.

Don't skimp on sleep. Life's better without bloodshot eyes, too much caffeine and chronic fatigue. You'll have to fight hard for your sleep; we're all under a lot of pressure to burn the candle on both ends ... but ultimately you just burn out. Try an experiment: get enough sleep for a week (man, if you can't do this ... you're going WAY too fast ... maybe the President has to kill himself with work, but, really, do you??). I found I felt a lot better on adequate sleep, more inclined to make healthy diet choices, more motivated to exercise, and didn't bankrupt the family finances by working a little less.

You have more choices than you think. When I started driving truck 10 years ago, I gained 10 lbs the first two months, eating and non-exercising like most of the drivers do out there ... but I was fortunate to see that that upward trend in weight was ultimately a downer ... just like you're seeing now. So instead of eating the junk at the easy-to-grab-junk places, I made the tiny extra effort to buy healthier foods at grocery stores. Nobody is secretly loading up my truck with junk foods; I control what food gets carried into the truck ... so ultimately, I control what gets into my mouth. I'm sure you have the same control over what foods you're able to grab in your work place. Just take control of you're environment. Too many temptations? Start by letting go of one, tiny temptation a week. After a year, you'll find yourself passing all the junk in favor of healthier choices.

There are no magic pills, no magic exercises, no magic diets. Basicallly it comes down to moving a bit more and eating a bit less than you do now. It took years for you to get in the yucky place you're at now, but with persistent, little efforts, you can come out the other side, much better off than you are now. Most likely, you won't get much encouragement or help from others ... but most likely, you don't need the help. Nobody had to tell you that you're heading in the wrong direction, and, really, nobody is forcing you to eat bad, not move enough, and work too hard.

Good luck, Randolph