Dr Sarno / tension myositis syndrome

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain
randolph

Post by randolph » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks, Ken: I'm doing very well!

I'm back out on the road, driving the big truck again, so I can't keep daily contact, here, with y'all. I manage to exercise and stretch most days, and have been getting more fit and flexible.

Reading Sarno's books really helped me turn the corner on my sciatica. RYB got me thru the acute stages of it, but after 15 months, I was still suffering from relatively minor sciatica pain, that limited my activities somewhat (I returned to work, but at home, mostly rested, and running seemed out of the question) Dr. Sarno makes the point in his books that the body generally takes just a few months to heal from the physical injury that initiated the sciatica, so any chronic pain one suffers is most likely psychosomatic in origin. In other words, there's nothing physcially wrong with my back, even though it hurts, and I needed to learn a new response to the pains I still felt. That new approach, was basically, to just start doing, gradually, all the normal activities of life again. It was a bit scary at first, testing the validity of Sarno's idea, but, for me, it was almost miraculous. Each day I dared to do more and more, and now, I'm running and working again with no unnatural concern about my back. The challenge now is to regain the fitness and flexibility I had prior to my back injury, which seems to be happening! :D

I know that my quick success with the Sarno's TMS diagnosis will surely not be the case for everybody. But I think anyone suffering from chronic back related pain would be well-advised to seriously study Sarno's ideas.

Good luck with your own investigations, Ken.

Randolph

Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck » Tue May 01, 2007 3:33 am

randolph wrote:Thanks, Ken: I'm doing very well!

I'm back out on the road, driving the big truck again, so I can't keep daily contact, here, with y'all. I manage to exercise and stretch most days, and have been getting more fit and flexible.

Reading Sarno's books really helped me turn the corner on my sciatica. RYB got me thru the acute stages of it, but after 15 months, I was still suffering from relatively minor sciatica pain, that limited my activities somewhat (I returned to work, but at home, mostly rested, and running seemed out of the question) Dr. Sarno makes the point in his books that the body generally takes just a few months to heal from the physical injury that initiated the sciatica, so any chronic pain one suffers is most likely psychosomatic in origin. In other words, there's nothing physcially wrong with my back, even though it hurts, and I needed to learn a new response to the pains I still felt. That new approach, was basically, to just start doing, gradually, all the normal activities of life again. It was a bit scary at first, testing the validity of Sarno's idea, but, for me, it was almost miraculous. Each day I dared to do more and more, and now, I'm running and working again with no unnatural concern about my back. The challenge now is to regain the fitness and flexibility I had prior to my back injury, which seems to be happening! :D

I know that my quick success with the Sarno's TMS diagnosis will surely not be the case for everybody. But I think anyone suffering from chronic back related pain would be well-advised to seriously study Sarno's ideas.

Good luck with your own investigations, Ken.

Randolph
Well Randolph, I am totally sold now on TMS and I want to thank you so much for bringing it up as a topic on this forum and encouraging me to check it out! I pretty much passed it off initially as BS, or at least for me, until I actually applied the idea of TMS to myself and Bingo, that was the answer for me! The pain went away almost completely at the end of the first week and zero signs of pain/discomfort after the second week. I've now been pain-free for between 2 and 3 mos. I would highly recommend that anyone who even remotely thinks that TMS might apply in their case, to check it out more closely.

Thanks again Randolph!

Ken