Do I really have sciatica?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain
emzi

Do I really have sciatica?

Post by emzi » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 am

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm concerned that I may have been mis-diagnosed with sciatica.

I've been reading alot of forum posts and have seen that alot of people are in excruciating pain with this. This has caused me concern as I'm not in that much pain.

I have a discomfort in the lower part of my back to the right, and every now and then I get a pain in my hips and groin, but it's not an excruciating pain, it's just really uncomfortable. Is this still sciatica? I also get aching in my legs, but not tingling or loss of function. I've read the symptoms of sciatica and most of them I don't have.

My job requires me to sit at a desk all day so I can understand how it could be sciatica, but recently I've been trying to lose weight and have been excersising on a regular basis. Could it still be sciatica?

When the doctor diagnosed me he said it was either sciatica or shingles, but with shingles comes a rash and I don't have that, so he said it's probably sciatica. He didn't give me much information on it, he just prescribed me some gel type stuff and sent me on my way. He didn't tell me how long it'll take to heal, if it heals at all.

If anyone can advise I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

JaneBB21

Post by JaneBB21 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:25 am

Many people who have sciatica have a work that requires long hours of sitting. They get the condition because they sit and not able to relax their muscles. Therefore, it is best to stand up and walk for a few minutes to prevent getting back pain.

Swanybee

Re: Do I really have sciatica?

Post by Swanybee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi,

I'm no doctor but groin pain sometimes indicates a hip problem. It's worth getting your hip joint on that side checked out.