Had surgery on Monday. - My thoughts so far....

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain
james-austin

Had surgery on Monday. - My thoughts so far....

Post by james-austin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 am

Hi,

I'm 24 and have been suffering from Sciatica due to a herniated disk for about 4-5 months.

The simple reason for the long delay in getting in sorted is mainly due to the UK's NHS diagnosis process for slipped disks and sciatica.

I had to wait around 8 weeks before my GP (Doctor) would bother to refer me to a physio. - and even then I was told it was another 6-8 week waiting time.

So I paid for a private physio. - They quickly diagnosed it as a slipped/herniated/bulging disk and said that I needed an MRI scan before I could get any 'real' treatment. - Went back to the NHS and got told that I'd need to wait almost 2 further months for a MRI. - So I privately paid for this too.

The results shown that it was obvious I needed surgery and again went back to the NHS and got told that it would be a further 3 months before I could get that too.

I waited 2.5 months and then discovered that the doctors had'nt actually added me to the list properly. - I was told the devistating news that I would have to wait AT LEAST another 3 months before I could get the surgery I so desperately needed.

I haven't been able to work, sit or really even go out of the house!

I quickly decided that I couldn't wait for the NHS any longer and paid for the surgery privately too.

....Within 72 hours of my decision to go private I was on an operating table with my back being operated on.

I awoke a few hours later feeling pretty groggy, but given the fact that I had over 18 metal staples in my back, I felt quite suprised about how little pain I was in.

Throughout my whole sciatica problem, If I lay in bed, the pain would subside within about an hour or two. - and I'd be fine for as long I could stay in bed. - What this meant for me was that post-surgery, I didn't have a sudden 'THE PAIN IS GONE!!' moment. - (Since I'd already been on my back for a fair few hours...)

It's about 50 hours later and I'm lying in my own bed in no pain.

The best way I can describe the feeling I have is.....

No serious pain at all, but very fragile. I have a big 6 inch plaster on my back as well as a lot staples and as I move I can feel 'something' getting pulled and stretched.

Problem is, I don't know if it's simply my plaster, the staples... or my spine!

nell

Post by nell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Would love to hear how you are doing after surgery. I have a similar problem with the NHS Waited 7 weeks for MRI and five weeks for the results. Have now been referred to the orthopaedic surgeon but stil have not had the appointment through . My GP suggested that i will need epidural injections and possibly disc removal surgery. Is that what you have had?

nell

Post by nell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Would love to hear how you are doing after surgery. I have a similar problem with the NHS Waited 7 weeks for MRI and five weeks for the results. Have now been referred to the orthopaedic surgeon but stil have not had the appointment through . My GP suggested that i will need epidural injections and possibly disc removal surgery. Is that what you have had?

Karachi123

Post by Karachi123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 am

May God bless you.

Lambo

How are you doing?

Post by Lambo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:31 am

I am interested to see how your doing as I am in the same situation as you.

What surgery did you go for? Did they remove the disc, and if so did they replace it?

Sophie