Scared to death

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Scared to death

Postby unpilot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:36 am

Hello all,

Glad I found this site...(misery loves company?) I have been bed ridden now for four days. My back has been a source of concern for several years. A typical episode would be muscle spasms for a few days then I would get better and forget about it. These would come maybe once a year and have for about 6 years. The one I had 2 months ago has been WAY different. I had the familiar spasms right before I was to go on a long motorcycle ride. Well I went anyway and the back did not get better. That was almost 2 months ago. Then last Friday the Sciatic pain began. My left leg feels like a knife is being applied to the hamstring area. Also my left foot is numb and sore at the same time. The only relief is lying on my back. I had a MRI yesterday and have a appointment with a surgeon today.

I am a active person (ran a half marathon on April 11th in 2 hours) but this has totally laid me out. I am thinking I would do anything to stop this pain and get my life back. I cant do any of the exercises because I cant stand without pain.

I am hoping the Dr. will prescribe a epidural shot today. What have some people's response to a shot been?

Thanks for listening,

Ken
unpilot

They do help

Postby krd » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Hey Unpilot

I just had 2 epidurals and they should work for you. First have your pain doc give you a medrol pack. This is a cortisone regiment that you take for 6 days. See if you get any results, even minor pain reduction from this. It normally takes about 3 to 4 days before you will notice anything. It won't be major, but if you notice anything, you will most likely have success with an epidural. Make sure you set up your 2nd one for approximately 2 to 3 weeks after your 1st. That seems to be what the doc will want you to do. If you check on my postings (search krd) you will see more detail. The epidurals will relieve most of the pain and then find a good PT to help you strengthen every thing. Good luck.

krd
krd

Postby unpilot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks for the Reply Krd.

I found a stretch I can do which relieves the pain and allows me to stand and walk around. It is the one where you lay on your back with your legs bent and feet on the floor. Then I pull one knee to my chest as far as I can hold for a few seconds then do the other leg. Then both knees. If I do that as soon as I feel pain it relieves the pain and I can stand and walk. I found my left side is much weaker than my right. But at least I can get out of bed!

I will post again after the shot.

Take care,

Ken
unpilot

Postby unpilot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 am

Well I had the shot today. It was not a bad procedure at all. Very minimal pain and I am hopefull I will see a big change.

I have been able to move around much better but still have weakness on left side and my left foot feels at times like it is in a bucket of icewater.
unpilot

Postby djohn36755 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Ken - glad the exercises are helping.... if those help here is another thing I found that relieves some of my pain. While lying on your back - find a chair, low table, etc. (I use a piano stool) and put it right next to you with your knees bent and your calves lying flat across the top. You will need to experiment with the height. You want to just barely take the pressure off your lower back with some of your weight being on your legs. I did this several times a day for 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Along with the exercises you mentioned above..... it gave me relief. Good luck!
djohn36755

Unpilot--how are you doing?

Postby Slouching John » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:08 am

If you're still around or get email notification, please update. Is the shot still effective? Is the exercise feeling good? I hope you are doing well.
Slouching John

Postby yong-i7 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Thank God I found this site!!It was so pretty good to see your post.Thankl you for posting!!
God Bless!!!
yong-i7

Postby Sugar70 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 pm

This is a cortisone regiment that you take for 6 days. See if you get any results, even minor pain reduction from this. It normally takes about 3 to 4 days before you will notice anything.
Sugar70

Re: They do help

Postby KITTEN » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm

[quote="krd"]Hey Unpilot

Ken , My 1st time on. Yesterday had 1st epidural (L5S1) and the pain shot right down the siatic nerve , lasting almost a minute.Excruciating.Did my Dr hit the nerve ? Will it still work ? I'm still in pain left hamstring/buttocks , can't walk 10 feet.Appreciate thoughts or referral .

Thanks. KITTEN
KITTEN

Postby genia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:20 pm

First time postiing. I had two epidurals and neither of them worked! Very discouraging. My neurologist now says I have no options but surgery. I do not want surgery! I am starting to do the exercises recommended and they seem to be helping. Although, I am still much bedridden, definitely, can't drive. I was a very healthy, active person, worked out at least 5 days a week. I made the mistake of trying to carry a dear friend who was dying and I think that is what triggered this! So sad. I can't even pick my grandkids up. I am a court reporter and I can't even sit due to pain in my right buttocks. This nightmare has got to end. I am going back to the pain management guy and see if he can recommend a PT. But right now he has me on heavy percoset (20mg) four times a day. I wish you all success at healing this problem.
genia

Epidurals

Postby krd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 am

Hey all.... was wondering about your epidurals. Did they do a "guided fluoroscopy" or just a plain epidural. With the guided, you are normally sedated and put under. The pain doc then puts an xray machine over the area and he/she administered the meds right at the location. When I get mine, they put it in 2 levels, above and below the disk and it is like magic. I have given up golf since that was definitely the main culprit. It has now been 2.5 years sincer my injections, and I have absolutely no pain or discomfort. I do go to the gym and workout almost every day, primarily on core exercises and strength too. See if someone in your area will do the guided fluoroscopy. Good luck.

Ken
krd

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain