Neck Back Bend

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
SarahJ

Neck Back Bend

Post by SarahJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:42 pm

I'm finding this exercise somewhat difficult. I'm not sure how far back to tilt my head and I'm not sure if "turn your head back and forth" means like you are nodding or side to side. One of my main problems is neck pain and I find this particular one kinda stressful on my neck to where it feels kind of weak when I do it like it says to do it. Any input would be very helpful because I don't want to do it wrong and end up hurting myself instead of helping it.

I do have say that the exercises for the lower back are really helping me. All I can say is ahhhhh. I do still have some slight pain in the bottom middle of my back (I was having problems with sciatica, but the pain in the neck and butt has went down significantly.

SarahJ

Post by SarahJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Well, duh... back and forth would be back and forth, not side to side :oops: Anywho, it's still kinda difficult to do because my neck is tender, so I've been doing 3 to 5 instead of 10 of these. Actually I've been doing 5 of most of these except for the chin back at this point. I figure I'll just have to work up to 10.

One question, is it typical for the neck to get sore in doing these exercises. It seems my neck has gotten sore and tired to a degree... more than usual. I thought maybe it might be the proverbial, "get worse before it gets better". Has anyone had this same thing happen?

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Sarah,

Sorry I haven't answered sooner. The key in doing the neck exercises is never to strain. As long as you do them gently, there is little chance of doing any harm.

It sounds like you are doing them correctly. By "side to side," I'm referring to moving your head as though you were saying "no."

Also, it is not unusual to experience a little muscle soreness in the beginning. If it persists, you may be pushing yourself too hard. Take a day or two off and then start back in gradually.

Hope that clarifies things,
Dean