Will exercises relieve knots in muscles?

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
jbels

Will exercises relieve knots in muscles?

Post by jbels » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:11 am

I have a long (about 30 yr.) history of pain between my shoulder blades which at times would radiate down my left triceps or up into my neck which would in turn cause migraines. Twenty years ago my neck tightened to the extent that I couldn't move it, and I started on my trips to the chiropractor. The main neck pain went away, but the pain between the shoulder blades never did, and I was told that I would just be on maintenance adjustments once a month for life. I decided to try a physician's group that had a regular doctor, a chiropractor, a physical therapist, and massage therapists all working on me every other day for six months until I was told that they couldn't do anything more for me and sent me home with the exercises that didn't seem to do a whole lot. (The x-rays and MRI's didn't show anything, the shots of Novocain into the knots didn't really seem to do anything, and like others have mentioned on this forum, my neck muscles would tighten up with some of the exercises.)

A year later, my neck was hurting at the base where it meets the top of the back, and I decided to call the physician's group again just to get the chiropractor to do some adjustments. They put me through the whole regimen again (except for the MRI and shots) and finally decided that with all the knots in my upper back that maybe I would do better being massaged with special tools that would get really deep into the tissues to break them up rather than them trying to knead my muscles so hard by hand. I was told by the massage therapist using the tools that the big knots seemed to be breaking into littler knots, but again, after about six months of every-other-day visits, I was dismissed with "having reached a plateau." They did let me know that they were thinking about allowing their massage therapists to do hour-long treatments that wouldn't be covered by insurance (and I would probably need a treatment for every year that I had had pain -- 30), but after pondering the cost vs. the pain for a few months, I found out that they had dropped that idea, and I couldn't even see my main massage therapist on his off hours.

I haven't been very vigilant with the exercises but have been doing the stretching off and on, and I have a wonderful massage chair that can give fairly deep massages. It feels good to sit there and put as much pressure as I want right where it hurts, but the pain is still there when I turn the chair off. I can tell that my upper back is packed full of knots from the washboard sound and feel when I'm getting a massage.

I'm tired of hurting! My husband says he will let me get one of the books, but will the exercises relieve the knots in my muscles? If so, which book would be best for my situation?

Steven

Post by Steven » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 am

Hi jbels,

The book you would want to get is "Rebuild Your Neck". It deals with upper back and neck problems.

I can't say for certain whether the exercises will solve your particular problem or not. It's certainly worth a try.

If you do decide to try it, let us know what you find out.

Steven