Thoracic Bulging Intervertebral discs from MVA

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
kristen

Thoracic Bulging Intervertebral discs from MVA

Post by kristen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:58 pm

I'm a 28 year old female and I've been in three Motor Vehicle Accidents with whiplash. With each car accident, I have had increasing chronic-mid thoracic pain. It got so bad that I couldn't even sit. It is most severe around T5, 6, 7, 8. I was a healthy, active and athletic woman before the pain set in several years ago.

I have been doing Prolotherapy for one year to help shorten, strengthen and build scar tissue in my ligaments along my thoracic spine. The prolotherapy has helped me a lot, but after 12 injection treatments I am still only about 70% better. I still have pain with almost every activity (even doing the dishes, cooking, shopping etc).

This week I received my MRI results and discovered that I have "Minimal degenerative bulging in the intervertabral discs T6-7 and T7-8."

The book sounds very interesting, but I would like to know if there are a lot of exercises for the Thoracic spine? Also, do you think it will help for an injury, such as mine, which seems to be a combination of ligament damage (stretched ligaments) and bulging discs?

Is a "minimally bulging disc" the same as a "herneated disc?"

Note: I am also going to Physiotherapy (with a postural reconstructionist), Chiropractor, massage.

thank you,
Kristen

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:14 am

Hi Kristen,

I apologize for not answering you sooner... I noticed your post the first day you posted it... but I just get so upset when I read it that I can't bring myself to comment. I was hoping someone else would answer it so I wouldn't have to.

It's not because I'm upset with you. I'm upset at what those quacks are doing to your back.

Please, please, please, read my article Blueprint for a Bad Back. That will explain a lot about what is wrong with your back... and what is so wrong with the way those people are treating you.

Also, read my articles on chiropractic starting with Don't I Need a Chiropractor?

[Takes a deep breath.]

You've had three injuries... most likely torn ligaments (not "stretched" ligaments)... which have left you with scar tissue in your back.

Prolotherapy is injecting a chemical into your ligament that intentionally burns it (intentional damage) so that it will leave yet another scar.

Think about that for a moment.

The "therapist" (and I really want to say idiot...) you're going to thinks that the solution to short, stiff, scarred ligaments... is more short, stiff, scarred ligaments. On what planet does that make sense? How is causing further damage to your back going to help you recover?

I'm no doctor... and maybe I'm the idiot... but as an athletic person, my goal has always been to maintain healthy, supple, flexible joints and ligaments. The last thing I want is more damage and more scar tissue.

But that's just me.

To answer your last questions... my book, Rebuild Your Neck covers the upper back and neck. The "upper back" is the thoracic spine. On the bulging vs. herniated disc question... it depends on who you're talking to. I use the terms interchangeably.

Dean

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Dean,

Thanks a lot for your help. I am starting on a light strengthening routine for the muscles surrounding my bulging discs. I think my physiotherapist has the same philosophy when it comes to strengthening the back so discs can heal. But I haven't read your book, so I can't comment on the exercises yet.

I can agree with you about chiropractors. I don't think that they provide any long term benefit. They have never helped me much.

I do disagree with you about Prolotherapy. The proof is in the pudding for me. My neck and lower back (which also had injury) are now feeling pretty good ever since I had the prolotherapy. The doctors word it differently. They say it makes the ligaments "inflamed" (it is a sugar solution that they inject). I also talked to a lot of people who said that it solved/helped their problems. I don't want anyone who reads this thread to decide Prolo is not an option. They should find information on both sides of that argument. But trying to strengthen first would be ideal. I haven't read your book, so I don't know if you advise that ligaments can be strengthened, but I always understood that it wasn't possible to strengthen ligaments. I was also told that ligaments heal very slowly and have a bad blood supply.

The Prolotherapy has not relieved my mid back pain (probably because of the disc problem) and I have allowed myself to get pretty weak. I am strengthening now and I will have a look at all your material for more information on how to rebuild my back.

thanks a lot
Kristen

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Kristen,

I won't mind if I find out someday that I'm all wrong about Prolotherapy. It just doesn't make any sense to me at this time.

Keep us posted on what you learn.

Dean