Tongue/Lingual Neuralgia and Neck Pain

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
dalec

Tongue/Lingual Neuralgia and Neck Pain

Post by dalec » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:36 pm

I am a 39 year old suffering from chronic neck pain for the last 3 years. I was very fit and was a long distance cyclist amongst other sports.

A side effect of the neck pain was the onset of numbness in the left side of my tongue. MRIs show spondylothesis at C5 and I have been through hell trying to sort this out.

The first set of physical therapy made the problem *significantly* worse.
Accupuncture was successful in treating the constant internal swelling around the joint
Mobic was prescribed by a neuro-surgeon, who thankfully said surgery was not a good option. The internal swelling was under control at this point a year from the onset.

Prolotherapy was shockingly awful.

A 2nd physical therapist (Mckenzie based) was more succesful in returning range of motion, then I was made redundant and lost health insurance.

A chiropractor returned my neck curve from a measly 22 degs to a round 35 degrees.

The neuralgia remains. When it's bad (10/10 in pain scale) it's pretty nasty. The chriopractor got it down to an average of 5/10 but it flares up if I do anything active. I had an endoscopy up the nose to make sure there were no problems in the throat. By this time I'd been poked, probed, stuck, scanned, weakened, numbed and injured.

I have stopped cycling, running, playing soccer. I have spondylothesis at the L5/S1 joint, which makes things worse.

As you can imagine, energy levels are low. Mood swings make life hard at home. Many times I lack the resources to cope with work, home life, two children and doing what I need to a) deal with the problem and b) find a road to recovery.

Self hypnosis has helped.

So I post this in the hope someone has heard of this problem before. I forgot to mention a Pain Management clinic had me on Neurontin for a year for the nerve pain. That stuff reallly whacks you out. Facet block injections were offered but after prolotherapy I did not fancy any more injections (I also had an two MRIs and the EMG test where they stick needles in your muscles while you contract them). Urgh.

After that lot you can imagine I'm looking for help but am wary of any quick fix approaches. The books interest me and I wonder what style of rebuilding/therapty is included, and if they contain material I am not already doing.

Another extra point, along with the neck the thorassic is fragile and I a prone to trapped nerves - basically my spine is unhappy from top down.

Can anyone chime in?

Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed May 30, 2007 9:59 pm

Hi dale,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I apologize that I've been so busy lately that I didn't notice that no one had responded to your post. If you do happen to still be reading the forum... let us know how things are going and if you have any specific questions.

Dean

Billray

Re: Tongue/Lingual Neuralgia and Neck Pain

Post by Billray » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 am

dalec wrote:I am a 39 year old suffering from chronic neck pain for the last 3 years. I was very fit and was a long distance cyclist amongst other sports.

A side effect of the neck pain was the onset of numbness in the left side of my tongue. MRIs show spondylothesis at C5 and I have been through hell trying to sort this out.

The first set of physical therapy made the problem *significantly* worse.
Accupuncture was successful in treating the constant internal swelling around the joint
Mobic was prescribed by a neuro-surgeon, who thankfully said surgery was not a good option. The internal swelling was under control at this point a year from the onset.

Prolotherapy was shockingly awful.

A 2nd physical therapist (Mckenzie based) was more succesful in returning range of motion, then I was made redundant and lost health insurance.

A chiropractor returned my neck curve from a measly 22 degs to a round 35 degrees.

The neuralgia remains. When it's bad (10/10 in pain scale) it's pretty nasty. The chriopractor got it down to an average of 5/10 but it flares up if I do anything active. I had an endoscopy up the nose to make sure there were no problems in the throat. By this time I'd been poked, probed, stuck, scanned, weakened, numbed and injured.

I have stopped cycling, running, playing soccer. I have spondylothesis at the L5/S1 joint, which makes things worse.

As you can imagine, energy levels are low. Mood swings make life hard at home. Many times I lack the resources to cope with work, home life, two children and doing what I need to a) deal with the problem and b) find a road to recovery.

Self hypnosis has helped.

So I post this in the hope someone has heard of this problem before. I forgot to mention a Pain Management clinic had me on Neurontin for a year for the nerve pain. That stuff reallly whacks you out. Facet block injections were offered but after prolotherapy I did not fancy any more injections (I also had an two MRIs and the EMG test where they stick needles in your muscles while you contract them). Urgh.

After that lot you can imagine I'm looking for help but am wary of any quick fix approaches. The books interest me and I wonder what style of rebuilding/therapty is included, and if they contain material I am not already doing.

Another extra point, along with the neck the thorassic is fragile and I a prone to trapped nerves - basically my spine is unhappy from top down.

Can anyone chime in?

Hello Dale,

I just found this website and am interested in trying this book. I just read your message and I too am in a simalar situation as you. Have had chronic neck pain for past four years. I am 47 yrs.old now and like you was an avid athelete, all sports ,weightlifting, etc. got caught up in the workers comp circle of hell! Lost my job of 23yrs at a major airline. I like you have tried everthing- epidurals,acupunture,therapy,prolotherapy,massage,cervical rhizotmy. nothing seemed to work.I elected to have surgery after sending my ct and mri at the laser spine institute in tampa after saying they could help me. The surgery involved a laminotomy and forminotomy without fusion at C4/5, 5/6 and C6/7 last july 2006. I felt better immediately after surgery but to this day I,m only 70% of what iI used to be. I am grateful though was almosted bed ridden before surgery. I am presently still have herniations at C2/3 and C3/4 that the surgeon said that may need to be adressed in future but trying to ward off hopefully. I justed wanted let you know your not alone with chronic neck pain. After reserching the web I found out that there are so many like us. Good luck to you and never give up finding help no matter what the doctors say. Billray
Thanks.