What can I do about stiffness?

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain
Eudoxa

What can I do about stiffness?

Post by Eudoxa » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Hello all, any thoughts about what I can do to get rid of the horrible stiffness in my neck and shoulders? After years of stress and a recent nervous breakdown my shoulders are recovering from continual tightness, trigger points from violin playing, emotional trauma and constant re-injury (as well as a 2 year old whiplash injury). I have an anxiety disorder to deal with and have been working on relaxation strategies. Life is getting better now but I am left with incredibly stiff muscles, and my neck clicks and cracks and it is driving me crazy! Should I be worried about the clicking? Do I need to see a chiropractor or will it resolve on it's own (as I kind of suspect it will when the muscles are relaxed)?
I have forward head posture as well and am working on correcting the way I sit and stand. I am doing my best to stretch but there are some muscles at the back/base of my neck I just can't seem to stretch. I did a course of massage which helps at the time but ends up causing me more stiffness and grief. I've also tried physiotherapy, acupuncture, and all these things left me more stiff than I was before! The only things that have helped are rest, relaxation and stretching (and anti-anxiety meds) but I can't live my life with my feet up! And I'd love to be able to get off muscle relaxants one of these days too.

Thanks for your thoughts!

randolph

Post by randolph » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:27 am

Hello Eudoxa

I always feel pretty stupid and useless when someone mentions some previous, grievous injury, like, in your case, whiplash, that requires taking heavy duty meds. That introduces complications that really require professional, medical diagnosis and help.

But maybe this will help some. Dean mentions in his neck book that the repititive stress syndrome he experienced from his guitar playing decreased dramatically with adequate stretching and warming up before he played his instrument. Maybe it would help to read his book (if you haven't already) and apply what helped him.

Sorry to hear you've wasted your money on things like acupuncture. But glad you got here to learn about better treatment options than chiropractic.

One of the benefits of doing any treatment program is that as you see improvement, you naturally feel better emotionally and more relaxed, which makes for more improvement ... which makes for feeling better ... which makes for more improvement. So I'd recommend doing the RYB exercises and see what happens. Apparently part of anxiety is a feeling of powerlessness, loss of control; and just succeeding at doing daily the RYB exercises is empowering. At least, that's how it works for me.

Randolph

help

Post by guest » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:20 pm

First, let me say that I am so glad that I stumbled upon your web-site. It has helped me approach my neck and upper back problem from a different perspective. Thank you.

I am at my wits end with my chronic neck and upper back problem. I am an avid golfer which has probably contributed to my pain and stiffness. I have pain and stiffness in the middle right part of my neck which extends down to my right shoulder blade causing many knotted muscles in the area. I have taken anti-inflammatories, taken a long break from golf, gone to a chiropractor, had an MRI (which showed a bone spur in c-3, c-4 causing mild stenosis), and now my doctor has assigned me to a physical therapist. My family doctor believes that my muscles are stiff and therapy will help. He does not believe my stenosis is causing my problems. I am hoping the therapist will help "rebuild my neck and upper back." What is your experience with the approaches of physical therapists to problems such as mine? Is this the best approach for me?

I have much pain, stiffness, and my muscles twitch and spasm a lot. I don't play golf as much as I used to because the pain and stiffness is too much to bear. Thanks for your help.

CDR