Night Shift Health Issues

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

Night Shift Health Issues

Postby Edwin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:43 am

People working in night shifts generally face health related issues due to disturbed routine and target pressure. Recommend to me all the possible solutions to this problem so that the employee’s health is retained without affecting the output of the company.
Edwin

Postby randolph 2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 am

Hello Edwin

I'll tell you how the trucking industry deals with the challenge of getting human bodies (that are evolutionarily designed to sleep at night and work at day) to drive thru the night.

Most freight is being shipped by drivers during the day. Notice how truck stops and rest areas are packed solid with trucks during the night, but not during the day. Most drivers prefer keeping to the natural, circadian rhythm. Make no mistake about it: accident rates are higher during the midnight-dawn hours. So it appears that, from a worker's standpoint, night work is less desirable than daywork.

From a company's standpoint, maximum efficiency comes from having robotic workers that are unaffected by the harmful effects of altered sleep patterns. So we've got a dynamic here: max efficiency for the companies is least desirable by workers; max efficiency for workers is least effective for companies. Companies can get workers to work with sleep deprivation but will have to accept reduced efficiency, and workers who opt to work at night, will have to accept harmful health consequences.

As you might expect in competitive markets, a variety of "solutions" to the problem of employing human bodies that don't do as well working at night, as during the day, exist today. I assume that because time-sensitive, night-time freight pays more to trucking companies, there is a great incentive to develop workable methods of getting that increased profit.

Some companies actually pay their drivers more for driving regularly at night.
Some companies don't pay any more; they gamble that there will be enough drivers willing to drive at night to haul their freight, and especially these days, that seems to be the case.
Some companies employ a seniority system that allows the most senior drivers to choose which routes they want to drive regularly; guess which routes the less senior drivers get? Right, the graveyard routes.
Some companies stagger the driving hours so that some night time sleep is possible. For example: the driver drives until 2 AM, then sleeps; or starts driving at 3 AM after some night-time sleep; or extra time is given to drive the route so the driver can nap a bit when necessary.

In general, however, trucking companies seem to driven by just two bottomline concerns. Those companies that haul a lot of higher paying, night-time freight demand night-time driving, and "if you don't like it, go find work elsewhere." And those companies that find greater economic benefit in lessening insurance costs (less wrecks, less cost) by hauling mostly day-time freight. My inference from this: consideration of health consequences to workers due to less efficient sleep is a low priority for trucking companies. And during these harder economic times, such consideration probably adds increased costs (thus less profitability) for companies.

Over the last 40 years I've worked about 5 years on various graveyard shifts. Some night workers claim they're OK with the weird hours, but my body never "got used to it". I did best (but never very well) if allowed to sleep during part of the night. The worst shifts were the 11 PM - 7 AM without breaks.

The company I presently drive for occassionally offers me freight that would require night-time driving, but I do all I can to avoid driving between midnight and dawn.

So my conclusion, based on my 10 years experience in the trucking industry as a driver, is that the industry has not developed a healthy or cost effective way to haul freight at night, and thus schedules most freight to be hauled during the day.

Randolph
randolph 2

Postby Marvin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am

I am agree with this above reviews.Keep it up
Marvin

Return to General Health Topics