New-and a question

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

New-and a question

Postby Broonessa » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just found this site today, and am very interested in all I've read so far. I'm also encouraged by all the success stories. I've abused my back for many years and am paying the toll. I work with physically disabled adults, and for years have lifted in/out of wheelchairs at least 10 150lb. or more adults daily for years.
I've been to chiro's, and had temporary relief, but of course it always came back. My question is..what are everyone's opinions on other alternative therapies such as massage therapy, vitamins, reflexology, meditation, etc.? Has anyone had any success with any of these types of therapies in addition to exercises and rebuilding your back? Would I be wasting time and money to incorporate alternatives with exercise?
Broonessa

Postby Bill » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi Broonessa,

Welcome to the group.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the things you mentioned would be a waste of time or money. The massage therapy could be helpful in temporarily relieving pain and good nutrition is necessary for healing and growth.

But my personal opinion is that none of the alternative therapies are necessary. Most of them are just designed to take your money and, like chiropractic, they won't rebuild your back.

As you progress with rebuilding, you'll soon find that you don't need anything else.

Let us know how it goes.

Bill
Bill

Postby randolph » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 am

Hello Broonessa!

As usual, Bill hits the nail on the head. All I can add are my own personal experiences regarding the value of massage, reflexology, and diet therapy on my own healing from sciatica.

Bottom line: in my case, nothing has so far been anywhere as effective as the RYB program.

My first month of suffering from sciatica, two friends who are well trained in massage, offered their services for free. The massage felt good, provided very temporary relief ... but the second the massage stopped, back came the pain. It seemed to basically be a big waste of time for me. And if I had had to pay for their services, I would definitely have felt "ripped off". One friend also majored in reflexology and during one massage, stimulated all the "appropriate" nerve endings on the bottom of my feet ... which only hurt terribly. I politely declined her offer for more foot treatments; it makes no sense to me to cause lots of pain to heal one from pain.

Another friend, a retired MD, who majors in diet related therapies, recommended a heavy regimen of nutrients, including glyco-nutrients (very expensive, even for food supplements). After two months of eating little more than all the supposedly healthy strange foods and supplements, I develped horrible rashes on my body ... which went away soon after I stopped taking the supplements. It makes sense, as Bill says, that one should pay some attention to eating good food to provide adequate nutrition for your body to heal ... but ... as my MD recently recommended, a good multiple is probably sufficient. (Anybody need any unopened bottles of shark cartilige, lecithin, brewers yeast, multi-mineral, Co-Q 10, chondroitin, echinacea, aloe vera gel, powdered fenugreek seed, serapeptase, spirolena, or barley grass powder?? I kid you not, I was taking all that stuff)

In the meantime, for the last three months, I've been doing the basic and advanced exercises, daily, that Dean outlines in his books ... and the pain has gradually been subsiding and physical function is returning.

Patience is also very helpful. My local Walmart doesn't sell the stuff, so I have to make do with what little I have, which, thankfully, has been just enough. :)

Hope this helps, and good luck!
randolph

Postby Broonessa » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:38 am

Thanks for you input guys. I have been doing Dean's exercises for 2 days now and I can honestly say my pain is slightly less, and this morning I wasn't as stiff when I got out of bed. This gives me hope. I finally feel like my life isn't over at 40 lol.
I've been trying to eat healthier too. I'm really looking forward to continuing this program of exercises. I've even been trying to get my husband to do the exercises before he develops a bad back.
Broonessa

Postby Carl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I agree with Bill and Randolph. Except for a good sensible nutrition program all you realy need is the exercise program. It's worked wonders for me and I've never had any desire to look elsewhere.

By the way, Randolph, aloe vera gel is great for burns. I would hang onto that one if I was you. Don't know much about the other stuff you mentioned.

Carl
Carl

Postby Jeanette » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Well said, All -- The only thing I'd add is that once you get well into Dean's program of rebuilding, which is really quite complete, you might consider adding pilates to your regimen. I suggest this because the focus there is on core-posture-core which, given the kind of lifting you do on a daily basis, may give you some additional work to keep your back tooled up for the kind of demands you make of it.

And more power to you, Bronessa. I have great admiration for those who have the patience and skill to work with special needs clients. That makes you very special, too :D

Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby randolph » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:47 am

Hi Carl

Thanks for the reminder about aloe vera's effectiveness for burns. I'd forgotten that. I'll keep it around!

Dr. Dean O'dell (has an interesting syndicated radio call-in program on medical topics... seem to catch him mostly on weekends) enjoys reporting on scientific tests that indicate the ineffectiveness of popular food supplements, herbal remedies and such. Lately he reported a double-blind experiment that indicated chondroitin was useless in relieving and healing joint related maladies like arthritis. As usual, caveat emptor.
randolph

Return to General Health Topics