Need advice asap

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Need advice asap

Postby debbee3 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:22 am

My Mom had an MRI last Wednesday and was diagnosed with a herniated disc I believe the L3 & 4 which is just above the surgery she had last January. Last Jan they performed a fusion on her 5 & 6 put in a steel plate and several screws. My mom has been in excruciating pain since Christmas day, previoius to that she was in pain everyday but it was managable. My mom is 75 years old, the surgeon told her to go to physical therapy three times a week, my mom can barely move, she needs a walker just to grit her teeth to the bathroom. Her primary care is working with her on pain management she is taking oxycodene something like 60 mg in the morning and 60 at night. We tried to get her into a neurosurgeon and he won't see her because he doesn't want to step on the toes of the surgeon that did her fusion. She is not a candidate for endoscopic back surgery because she had the surgery last year. We are at our wits end, I hate to see my Mom in such pain, please any advise you can give me would be appreciated.
debbee3

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Hello Debbee

I'd google "Allen Botnick DC"; he's a reformed chiropractor who has got a terrific website/forum that's open to folks like you asking for GENERAL advice on what to do. Hundreds of competent medical professionals frequent the site ... so you might get some helpful suggestions in response to your request for help in his forum.

To quote him: medical physicians and doctors of osteopathy are the best trained at diagnosis. Please rely on them to diagnose and monitor your condition. Then gather opinions and discuss various treatments so you can try to find something that will work for your particular condition.

Apparently, you are already receiving the help of a MD and DO. Have you received any second opinions on sources of pain relief for your Mom?

I really wish I had something more to recommend. It hurt just to read what your Mom's going through.

Good luck, Randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain