Trigger point injections

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Trigger point injections

Postby Moe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:53 am

Hello All
Has any one ever had trigger point injections and if so can you tell me your experience Thanks
Moe

Re: Trigger point injections

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Moe wrote:Hello All
Has any one ever had trigger point injections and if so can you tell me your experience Thanks

Hi Moe -- I haven't had any experience with trigger point injections, but unless you've given the more conservative approaches a try -- rest, exercise, etc. -- I'd hold off. At minimum, I'd look for a second opinion. Good luck.

Jeanette

Postby randolph » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:37 am

Hello Moe!

No experience with trigger point injections ... but I think Jeanette's advice is right on.

I would also avoid the injections, just as I would any treatment whose only benefit is pain relief and does not promote healing. Yes, there was a time, soon after my back injury that I needed NSAIDs just to get a little sleep at night (ceasing to take them ASAP) ... but the only lasting relief comes from rebuilding the weakened parts (muscles, ligaments, tendons, whatever) and the RYB program is perfect for that ... without the undesirable side-effects that surely come with the injections.

One of Dean's articles on the site deals specifically with the doctor's limited role in the healing/rebuilding process.
randolph

Re: Trigger point injections

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am a medical doctor that does do trigger point therapy. Needless to say, I didn't learn it in medical school. I covered for a physician going on vacation and while orienting myself to his practice, he asked "do you give trigger point injections". I told him no, and he said he had a large practice doing trigger points. I was very skeptical of this, but he pulled out a two volume set entitled Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction written by two very well-respected orthopedic mds. I not only learned the techniques, but now successfully practice them. These DO NOT involve the injection of steroids or pain meds. I use simple saline mixed with Sensorcaine. I can honestly tell you that I have people who have had pain for years walk out moving in ways they haven't moved in years. And it is permanent. It truly is a quick fix that works with Muscle Spasms. (Sometimes it looks like a "miracle healing session" as my patients walk out waving arms that haven't moved in a long time without pain) If I don't think they have muscle spasms then I don't offer that as a treatment. Its a great little treatment and I now have people coming from other states for treatment. Good luck. Best wishes on finding an MD that does trigger points in your area.
Dr. Mom

Postby Dean » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Dr.Mom,

Thanks for clarifying things for us. I was under the impression that trigger point injections were similar to epidural steroid injections.

Under what conditions do you feel a person should look into this form of treatment?

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Trigger Point Injections

Postby Dr. Mom » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi Dean,

I think a lot of people have misunderstandings about trigger points if they have even heard of trigger point therapy at all. Most injections done on patients do involve steroids, etc. However, as previously mentioned, trigger points only involve a 1:1 solution of saline and sensorcaine. About 2 cc are injected into each site. I was very skeptical myself at first regarding trigger points. However, I am so grateful that I learned how to administer trigger points as it is one of the most effective treatments for pain that I have encountered. All this much to the delight of my patients. The patient that has muscle spasms is the patient that will receive the greatest benefit. Detecting muscle spasms can be as simple as just looking at the person's back, etc. A muscle spasm gives a "bowed up" appearance as folks describe it down here. There is usually exquisite tenderness to touch at the site of the muscle spasm. Range of motion is limited is usually limited by pain. The point at which pain is elicited is the site of the muscle spasm. What has truly surprised me is the large number of muscle spasms that many people walk around with every day of their life. This can be triggered by an accident, but more often than not, it is some daily routine that puts stress on the muscle and gradually over time the muscle develops an almost constant spasm leading to chronic pain. Anyone with chronic bain should be assessed to determine if muscle spascity is contributing to their condition. Again the authors of Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction, Drs. Travell and Simmons, describe each site of pain, where the dysfunction lies, and the appropriate site of injection, as well as other options for the relief of muscle spasms. Hope this helps.

Dr. Mom
Dr. Mom

Postby Dean » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for that response. Very thorough explanation. Guess I have something else I need to add to my list of subjects to investigate further.

Really appreciate the input,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain