Hip and leg pain

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Hip and leg pain

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Hi guys, new to forum. Just got a copy of "Rebuild your back" About 20 years ago i hurt my back while lifting. since then i have had pain on and of just above the right hip bone, this extends down right leg and into foot, also some numbness in legs and feet. With some twisting and bending i can usually get rid of it. However this time i can't so i will do the exercises and see how i go. Would love a good nights sleep. :roll:

However my real big problem is about 18 months ago while lifting again, i had a sharp pain betwene my shoulder blades. After a day or so the pain had moved into my shoulder, elbow and hand, i also had sharp electric shock like down my arm and pins and neddles in my hand. To cut along story short, I have seen Chiro's, doctors, physio's the lot with diags of Tennis elbow, arthritis, carpel tunnel and herniated disks. Had the choice of sergury or it may fix itself in a year or two. Well 18 months later it has improved but get a lot of pain in upper back/hand /arm/fingers. now on top of that i have this hip and leg pain. have been looking all this time for some help and i hope i have found it. I think i will get "rebuild your neck" as well, do you think i can do both sets of execises together or should i try to fix one thing at a time? Sorry for the long post but its been a long time trying to fix my problem, hope your book helps and will keep you posted.
Ray

Postby Bill » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:41 am

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the group. You can definately do both programs at the same time. I do exercises from both as a regular habit throughout the day just to keep everything working smoothly.

Bill
Bill

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. Have been doing the basic exercises for 2 days and there is a definate improvement. Little or no pain in hip and tingling and numbness are a lot less. Had 6 hours sleep last night, great. Will get "Rebuild your Neck" today and start those exercises as i still have a big problen in the neck area. will keep forum posted on progress.
Ray

Postby Jeanette » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi Ray -- Welcome to the forum. I can empathize with the relief that a night or two of 5-6 hours of sleep brings, having just had my first couple such nights after about three months with a session of sciatica.

Do incorporate the basic exercises into your daily routine -- maybe not all at once, but the ones that seem to help most -- both for upper and lower back. But don't try to do too much too rapidly. If pain doesn't moderate with a few reps (Dean's The Pain Relief Manual is more specific), then back off for the day and/or try something else. When you can get through the recommended routines with little or no pain, then move on.

When the worst of the pain has subsided, resume normal movement as much as you reasonably can, paying attention to how you carry and hold yourself. Postural alignment and strength really are critical, but you can't change too much too rapidly. Focus first on those areas that are bothering you most because they're painful, but recognize that just because your elbow hurts doesn't mean that's the source of the problem -- unless you have some kind of localized injury or pathology, of course, which I trust you've ruled out. The pain in your elbow may actually be related to what's going on in your shoulder or thoracic back, both of which can respond to the exercises Dean suggests.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeanette
Jeanette

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain