"other helpful resources" category

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

"other helpful resources" category

Postby randolph » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:41 pm

Suggestion: a place in this section to recommend other helpful books/ websites/compatible therapies; titled maybe "other helpful resources".

While searching for this website and other written lit, all of us have surely come across other sources of help and information which are wholly compatible with the info we're learning on this website. For instance, a great overview of many current back-healing therapies is Judy-laine Wise's The Utimate Back Book. She's too PC to come down on the ineffectiveness and danger of chiropractic care, but she does a real good job of showing the blind spots of each therapy, and telling how to do clinical exams on oneself to pinpoint likely causes of back problems.
Another book, How to Heal Your Back Without Surgery, has great pictures of the very same exercises in RYB, and is really strong on tips for designing your own physical rehab.

While nothing surpasses the amount of info in Dean's books for as compact as they are, and their phenomenal truthfulness, there's always more to learn.
randolph

Postby Dean » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi Randolph,

Really good suggestion. I've been wrestling with how best to handle something like what you're suggesting ever since starting this forum.

I agree with what you're saying. I believe that you can never learn too much. It's always good to get other view points and I suggest that everyone read as many books as they can find.

My only problem with opening up the forum to suggestions is that it opens the door to spamming. If it was just a matter of us within the group sharing with each other it wouldn't be a problem. But I've seen so many great message boards and newsgroups ruined by spammers posting what appear to be real messages but are in reality just advertisements and I would hate to see that happen here.

I've had to delete quite a few posts since I've started this forum because of spamming even though I knew some of them were sincere. It's just hard to really know what is or isn't spam. We're all friends here and it really pains me to have to edit someone's messages.

I'm just a novice when it comes to running a website and I'm learning as I go.

I just added a "Resources" page for links to other websites that I think might benefit our members and I'm considering a book review page for the same purpose.

For now, I would rather people make suggestions to me privately by email of any sites, books or other resources they find rather than posting them in the forum. That way I can keep the spam out and the forum can remain a place to talk and encourage each other rather than just a dumping ground for ads.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby randolph » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:03 pm

10-4 Dean. Appreciate the efforts to keep out the spam; I'll forward any interesting resources to you at email then.

Really appreciate the RESOURCES link service: I'll be exploring whenever the kids get off the computer!! Thanks
randolph

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:07 pm

[quote="Dean" ....It's always good to get other view points and I suggest that everyone read as many books as they can find.

....I just added a "Resources" page for links to other websites that I think might benefit our members and I'm considering a book review page for the same purpose.

Dean[/quote]

Hi Dean -- I'm a relative newcomer to the site, but like Randolph I'd rather hoped to see a book list of some sort. I was excited to see your resources area and have, in fact, followed some interesting trails begun there, but I was disappointed not to see a book list. By now most of us have probably read several things -- books, articles, pamphlets, etc. -- in our searches for help with our back problems.

Some books have been helpful; some not. Many of their suggestions do overlap with each other and, not surprisingly, with the excellent and accessible information your material provides. Some, obviously, are more useful, more user friendly, than others, and it could be helpful to read others' perceptions.

No one with any life can possibly read everything that's out there, but you might be able to enlist forum member help to come up with a couple short reviews of books forum members most indicate interest in or curiosity about.

Of course, some simple guidelines might keep out the money mills and snake oil sellers. For example, the books/tapes/videos should be readily available through most public libraries so the issue isn't simply "Buy my book and all the other stuff I have to sell."

And as this is a monitored site, you reserve the right to review and/or remove "inappropriate" material. Gosh, it's great to be the king! :)

Jeanette

Postby Dean » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Hi Jeanette,

Yes, a book review section is something I would definately like to add to the site. I'd like to keep it separate from the forum somehow so we can keep the spam to a minimum.

Hopefully, I can come across a software script that's as nice as this forum program that members can use to submit reviews and others can add their comments to.

Anyone know of anything, I'm all ears.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to General Health Topics