Determined, but not overly excited

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Determined, but not overly excited

Postby Jeanette » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:31 pm

Thanks, Brad S, for the subject idea. This is my first post tho I've been lurking for a week or two, so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm a 60-year-old woman with aggravated -- and aggravating :? -- sciatica -- that's my working diagnosis anyway. I've read Dean's excellent The Pain Relief Manual ('cause I've needed that!) as well as Rebuild Your Back -- 'cause I really need that! -- as well as the articles he's posted. I'm quite impressed with the site, the commonsense information it contains, and the generosity and good nature of most of the forum participants.

I've read most of the forum topics and appreciate the advice and information so many of you are willing to share. My current problems probably go back a couple decades, but this is the first time that the pain has taken this particular configuration -- shooting pain from almost to the waist down the hip, sometimes all the way to my ankle and across the foot -- and been so persistant. In fact, as I look back -- ain't hindsight wonderful! -- I realize that my body has been trying for years to tell me something, usually more or less gently, and I've been completely ignoring it all. Well, I'm not ignoring it now!

The worst pain is at night -- I know, consider the throbbing thumb thumped by a hammer :( . Once I get up and get moving, grab a cup or two of coffee, stretch, feed cats, horses, husband -- yes, in that order -- then I'm warmed up enough to exercise -- can't do the exercises before then because they're too painful -- and the rest of the day usually isn't too bad. But at night, after 2 or 3 hours of reasonably decent sleep (ibuprofen and a mild muscle relaxant before betime), I wake up hurting all the way down the right leg and then, after more ibuprofen, spend the rest of the night turning from one side to the other to keep the pain out of both hips and the right leg.

Anyway, that's the short version. Your comments have already been helpful in keeping me on track with the various exercises and in encouraging me to try "whatever works." It's so hard not to be impatient -- especially in the middle of the night. Thanks for the information and encouragement.

I'm passing the word to anyone I know with back problems. Y'all are doing a great job.
Jeanette

Postby Jason » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:04 pm

Welcome to the group.

We'll just have to work on getting you excited. :)

Jason
Jason

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain