Sciatica/ Herniated disc and Swimming

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Sciatica/ Herniated disc and Swimming

Postby johnW » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:06 am

G'day All

As you have probably read in my other posts I am currently making progress from Dean's wonderful RYB program, having a herniated disc responsible for terrible sciatic pain down my left leg. I cannot stand up for any lenght of time, yet I can ride my bike and kayak pain free.

Both Dean and randolph have, most rightly, cautioned me about these activities, advising, they are too soon in my rebuild. I am taking their advice and continuing only with the stretching exercises.

However, I still crave for some physical exercise that may be of some benefit without jeopardizing my improvement . . . enter Swimming.

To date, have not come across any comments or opinions regarding swimming and sciatica in any of this group's posts. Many times I have heard that swimming is great for back problems and have personally never seen any top swimmers pull out of championships with back problems. Can anyone confirm this or do you believe it is just another myth. Any advice for or against would be greatly appreciated . . . how come I feel a telling off coming my way? :lol:

Happy New Year to you all. john
johnW

Postby Steven » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi John,

It's been my observation that people who try to add to the RYB program generally progress slower than those who don't try to change it. Some injure themselves all over again.

My feeling is that Dean advised against doing other activities for a reason and that the smart thing is to just let the program work for you. In other words, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Swimming might work out great for you and it might not. Why take the risk? If you're making progress, I would suggest waiting at least a couple of months before trying any other exercise program.

Steven
Steven

Postby johnW » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:16 pm

G'day Steven

Thank you for your kind reply, even though it was not the reply I was hoping for. :(
That's OK. I expected the group to give me a real telling off!

I appreciate your concern and in no way am I trying to change Dean's RYB program . . it is excellent!

I am not trying to speed the progress up either. All I am saying is, if I have to wait another couple of months before I try any other physical exercise, I will go stark raving crazy . . almost to the point of not caring if the pain does continue a little longer . . . please note, I did say ALMOST!!!

Maybe I just have this positive attitude that "I ain't broke." john
johnW

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain