Excited and Determined!!!

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Excited and Determined!!!

Postby Brad S » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:24 pm

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the group. My name is Brad, I'm 26 and have been suffering from a herniated disk and sciatica since I was 19. For about the 1st year I basically laid in bed and did nothing (no school, no work, nothing). I tried physical therapy and showed zero improvement. Surgery was not an option so I basically decided to lay around and let it improve on it's own. So after about a year I got to the point where I could go about my life again, but my leg was constantly hurting no matter what I was doing. Before the injury I played basketball everyday of my life and had hopes of playing in college... ever since the injury I'm just a shadow of the player I used to be due to the leg pain and occasional backpain. My mobility is so limited and my coordination and all around athletic ability has suffered dramatically. Over the past several years, I think I just told myself that I'm going to have to live with this and I pretty much have just accepted it. I actually do go through periods of no pain at all for maybe a month at a time, but it always comes back around. The past 2 months have been particularly rough... so last week I decided that I was putting my foot down and doing something about it. I found this book and I am going to start the exercises tomorrow. I have to say I'm a little disappointed that I can't go to the gym and lift or play any basketball for awhile, but I know it will be worth it. I think the reason that my injury has hung around for so many years is because I'm constantly causing it to flare up by continuing to play ball and lift weights.
Plus, I know that once I rebuild my back I won't feel so limited when I return to being active. And I'm not going to return until I'm 100%. Since the injury I feel like I'm about 50-70% in everything I do.

When I came across this website and downloaded the book, it was the first time I felt like something was actually going to work. I've been really inspired by the stories I've read from you guys. It's also nice to have a better understanding of just exactly what's going on in my back... no doctor has ever taken the time to explain it as thoroughly as the book. It's also nice to have a group of people who understand completely what I'm going through. Most people just have no concept of what a herniated disk and sciatica is. It's so frustrating when you tell the same people over and over that your leg is hurting and they reply with "Oh, what did you do to your leg?" I look foward to getting some advice and support from some of you who are well into the program and have seen results. What I need most of all at this moment is some motivation and encouragement. I really feel like this is the start of a new beginning for me and I would love to get some confirmation from you guys that have had success with this. I'm sure you remember what it was like to be going through what I am going through (although you're probably trying to forget it). Lastly, I just have a quick question. Before I start the exercises and stretches, are there any particular ones you guys think I should stay away from with my condition (sciatica caused by herniated disk)? I was always told that "knee ups" and the "foward bend" were not recommended for my type of injury. Well, I look foward to getting some feedback and encouragement from everyone. Sorry about the novel!
Brad S

Welcome

Postby Steven » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the group.

As far as forward bending is concerned, the nice thing about the RYB program is that it is customizable. You can modify it slightly if you find that some particular type of movement is making your condition worse. There are enough exercises to experiment with that you should still be able to make progress and eventually add the other exercises back in.

The basic rule is; if an exercise hurts or agravates your sciatica, then don't do it. But don't dismiss them based on "what you heard." Try them for yourself and let your results be your guide.

Let us know how it goes.

Steven
Steven

Postby Jeanette » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:22 pm

Brad S writes:

When I came across this website and downloaded the book, it was the first time I felt like something was actually going to work. I've been really inspired by the stories I've read from you guys. It's also nice to have a better understanding of just exactly what's going on in my back... no doctor has ever taken the time to explain it as thoroughly as the book.

Hi Brad -- My experience with doctors has been similar. Fortunately, I've been both willing and able to do a significant amount of research because I haven't gotten a lot of information from either my GP or the neurosurgeon she referred me to. :? I now know what the MRIs show, but the docs offered little practical advice on how to manage or work through the pain except "Not time for surgery or injections yet; call if it gets worse..." Yeah, and then...?

Anyway, like you I've found it helpful to hear from others who are experiencing very similar situations and who are dealing with them non-medicinally or non-surgically. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well with the exercises.

Jeanette
Jeanette

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain