Bad backs and Water Beds

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

Bad backs and Water Beds

Postby johnW » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:13 am

Can someone please explain why water beds are supposed to be bad for bad backs. Surely the contour of the bed surface is identical to that of the persons body lying on it. This would suggest no pressure points whatsoever on the body, irrespective of which position it is in. Floating in liquid the body would also be supported uniformly for its entire length.
They also have a thermostat control that keeps the bed at exactly body temperature all year round, so no problems with it drawing heat from the body. . . Gees I'm sounding like a water bed salesperson . . and I don't even own one! Best regards. john
johnW

re: water beds

Postby Trina » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:50 pm

Water beds are extremely comfortable, but they lack support. Your body tends to sag badly in the middle (lower back) where you need support the most. In order to get a waterbed to keep from sagging you have to get one that is so filled with inner fiber that it loses all the floating sensation and doesn't feel like a waterbed at all.

You're better off to stick with a regular mattress.

Trina
Trina

bad backs and Water Beds

Postby johnW » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks Trina.

Your wording "sag badly in the middle", are they suggesting we all have large backsides that cause our middle section to sink more ? :lol:

regards. john
johnW

Postby Trina » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Yep, you got it.

No, actually everyone's center of gravity is in the middle regardless of rear end tonnage. The legs and head/shoulders just don't weigh as much as the mid-torso so they float by comparison to the center.

Trina
Trina

Re: Bad backs and Water Beds

Postby SeafordMdf » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 am

johnW wrote:Can someone please explain why water beds are supposed to be bad for bad backs.

Hi John ,

I've slept on a Water Bed for 20+ years .

Mine is a Hard Sided ( Wooden Framed ) with a 3 x Fibre layers inside the bladder ( Referred to a a Firm Mattress )

To the Best of my knowledge the only better is 4 x Fibre called an Ultra Firm .

The water being heated is good as it's always warm when you get into the bed .

Now here is the question I pose to myself , I've had back problems for about 2 years ( Exact cause of intial problem is proven known beyond any doubt ) but did the 18 years of sleeping on the water bed play any contributing factor ?

I did ask 2 Physiotherapists that same question 18 Months ago , 1 said "it would not be an issue " , The other said " Time for a new bed "

So the jury is out there .

What I can tell you is that the only time I'm guaranteed to NOT have back pain is when I'm lying down in my Water Bed !

But when I sleep on my Girlfriends good quality firm inner spring bed , I'll have back problems on some occassions .

I would say without doubt the Full Floater Water Beds ( 1 or NO Fibres ) will have minimal or no support and I'd suggest they are not a good choice if you have a back / neck / spine problem .

The water bed manufacturers all say that Water Bed is great for people with Bad Back , But I'm sure this is ADVERTISING , I've never seen any Water Beds endorsed by any Chiro or Physio groups .

But I have seen many "Ordinary" beds endorsed by these type of Groups .

I've got an open mind on this , Maybe other people could tell of their experiences with water beds ?
SeafordMdf

Postby SeafordMdf » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:44 pm

I thought that I'd Bump this one back ( sic ) up into view .

Just wondering if anyone else is sleeping on a Waterbed and finding they are OK and not causing any Back problems to get worse ?
SeafordMdf

Postby Dean » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm still sleeping on a waterbed (#1 firmness) that I've had for many years. I developed my back troubles long before I bought the bed and as far as I can tell it has never had any impact one way or another.

I don't recommend one as low in fiber as I have. A #3 or 4 would be much better. I compensate for the lack of support by sleeping with a second pillow under my midsection. (I sleep on my stomach.)

I love the floating on water feel of the mattress, but I don't miss it on occasions when I sleep on a conventional bed... so I plan on buying a conventional mattress to replace this one "someday."

Bottom line: I don't think it matters what TYPE of bed you choose... I only suggest getting one that gives you proper support.

That's my 2 cents worth,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby SeafordMdf » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 am

Hey Dean .

Yes I'd agree a Full Floater style water bed would not be a good choice , I'd even go so far to say even if your back is fine a #1 firm mattress would not be a wise choice due to the lack of support .

My experience tends to indicate that a Water Bed is not doing the Back any harm in my case .

But as we all know , Everyones Bad Back is different and responds to external influences differently .

So what is good for some maybe bad for others ?

If anyone else has or Had a water bed , Please Chime in with your comments :D
SeafordMdf

Return to General Health Topics