Hello....Newbie Here

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Hello....Newbie Here

Postby geeDub » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:29 am

Hi There,

I'm a first time poster on this forum. I'm a 54 year old male suffering with a brand spankin new ailment.....horrible lower back pain....lower right....radiating to the side and lower rib area. I've had about 4 years of occasional numbness in my right thigh and have visited a chiropractor about 16 times in the last three years. I've mostly had a very spoiled life of pain free existence. However, two years ago I suffered a massive heart attack, one year before that I had an MRI done on neck due to some moderate pain....where they discovered a bulging disk. This prolapse was discovered between C5 and C6.

Right at this moment, however, in relation to my back.... I am in pain. On a scale to 10, it's about a 9. I'm about ready to go into the ER. So, very excruciating but I do see where if I read Dean's book I may not have to worry so much about all of this...if in fact, I have what the chiro said today. He said what I thought, "you probably have a herniated disk or muscle tear...or both." At any rate after my visit and 'medium adjustment' today .....I'm worse now than I have been for the last week since all of this new pain started.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I actually have tears in my eyes as I am typing this.

Thanks in advance for any words that may help.

~G.
geeDub

Couple questions as well...

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:43 am

....so, what I want to know is there anybody else out there that've had this feeling you can't take a deep breath? The pain from breathing in while expanding the lungs causes the back pain to be so sharp it just about brings me down to me knees! :x

The other thing is....I can't lay down to rest...so, what is the best way to sleep with this horrible pain? I honestly feel like I've either got bone cancer or my kidney is about to fall out my backside. What in the hell is going on?

Re: Couple questions as well...

Postby geeDub » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:59 am

Anonymous wrote:....so, what I want to know is there anybody else out there that've had this feeling you can't take a deep breath? The pain from breathing in while expanding the lungs causes the back pain to be so sharp it just about brings me down to me knees! :x

The other thing is....I can't lay down to rest...so, what is the best way to sleep with this horrible pain? I honestly feel like I've either got bone cancer or my kidney is about to fall out my backside. What in the hell is going on?

Sorry, these extra messages are my fault for not knowing my way around here quite yet.

I think I'm going to have to go into the doctor with this. I haven't been able to sleep for two days now and this is just getting worse. I will hope to know something substantial with x-rays or MRIs and I will let you all know what I/they find. Thanks for putting up with my obvious panic and pain here while I try to figure this thing out.

All best,
G.
geeDub

Postby randolph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:29 am

Hello G

I can understand a bit of what you're going thru. It's a toss-up what the worst part of a new ailment is - the actual physical pain one feels or the uncontrollable panic and fear one feels early on in reaction to the new pain. I've said and thought some pretty embarrassing things while in horrible pain ... but you've come to a good place here: nobody's laughing or rolling their eyes. While I can only say some pretty basic things to you, I'm confident others more knowledgable than I am will offer their best advice to you, and that you have very reasonable hope for great improvement in your health.

So I think you're headed in the right direction by seeking professional help and by investigating further the helpful info on this site. By professional help, the strong advice here is NOT to continue seeing a chiropractor, but see a real doctor, like a GP/family practioner who can get you headed in the right direction and eliminate a lot of the worst of your fears like cancer, etc.

You may be referred to an osteopathic or neuropathic surgeon. Unless there are truly life threatening symptoms, a competent surgeon will be quite willing to let you try the conversative care program offerred here before operating. The vast majority of those suffering from back pain are helped without surgery.
randolph

Postby Dana » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi GeeDub,

Welcome to the group. I agree with randolph you're on the right track to see a real doctor right away to find out if what you're dealing with is serious or not. Kidney problems are just one of many things that can cause lower back pain and only a real doctor can diagnose those real medical conditions. Hopefully, what you'll learn is that all you have is something minor like a herniated disk or pulled muscle.

If it's any consolation, minor injuries are often more painful than really serious ones. I gashed my finger one time and had to have stitches. Hardly hurt at all. Got a paper cut the other day and it hurt like blazes!

Let us know what you find out,
Dana
Dana

Postby Bill » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:07 pm

What a lot of people don't know is that there is a major muscle group that supports your lower back that is also responsible for controlling deep breathing. geeDub you are unfortunately learning of it's existence the hard way.

Dean's RYB book is the only one I've ever seen that incorporates a breathing exercise specifically for conditioning this muscle group. It's one of my favorites. Check it out on page 96.

Bill
Bill

Postby Dean » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:13 pm

Interesting bit of trivia behind that exercise.

I actually developed it while working with a vocal coach who trains world-class opera singers. They have to develop perfect posture and incredible breath control in order to have such powerful voices. So while I'd like to take credit for it, it's really a derivative of several of her techniques that I just happened to notice effectively reached those muscles.

Just goes to show you don't learn everything in a gym or from so-called "back pain experts."

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain