Exercises for Sciatica and Leg Pain

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Exercises for Sciatica and Leg Pain

Postby ncsyl » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm new to the forum but I need to learn which exercises will help me rebuild by back. I was diagnosed with a herniated disk with pain and sometimes numbness in my right thigh and leg. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sylvia
ncsyl

Sciatica

Postby krd » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:25 am

I also have recently been fighting with a sciatica problem. I am new to the book and I am trying to do the exercises. I also bought an inversion table and I think that it is helping me. Hard to tell right now but I will see. Hang in there and when in doubt, just take it easy. I found that doing nothing in the beginning except ice and heat made it the best. Exercising it is important so don't forget to do them.
krd

Re: Exercises for Sciatica and Leg Pain

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:30 pm

ncsyl wrote:I'm new to the forum but I need to learn which exercises will help me rebuild by back. I was diagnosed with a herniated disk with pain and sometimes numbness in my right thigh and leg. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sylvia
:lol:

Sciatica and Leg Pain

Postby cb293 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 pm

:) Hi Everyone
I am new to the group as of tonight. Have dealt with Sciatica in my legs over the years and it is great to find such a support group such as this.
I just been married and moved to another city and have had some stress related to this that has gone on for about the time i have been here (bout 4 months)
Got the Sciatica pain in my left leg and have had it for a few weeks now.Lower back is sore and starting to interfere with living life.
My wife is upset as the sexual life has been interrupted for a few weeks now. I have very limited finanicial resources so can anyone suggest any excerises i can do at this time? I use heat and ice right now and it feels great and have been on the Mat on floor doing sloppy pushups (3 sets of 10) and using a ball to put my feet on ad i push myself up using my stomach muscles( 3 sets of 12)
Is this enough for now or should i be trying something else or adding a bit more to what i am doing now?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions by anyone.
Rob...
cb293

Postby randolph » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:53 am

Hello Rob and Sylvia!

To both of you, a good first step is to download Dean's excellent book, Rebuild Your Back. Lots of your questions will be answered there. There is a lot of info in the wesite articles and some sprinkled among the forum posts, also. But start with the book, and then come on back here and join in the conversation, with any comments and questions.

Rob, from the description of your symptoms, it sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for successful application of the rebuilding program. I've been using it successfully for similar and much worse symptoms for about 2 months now. Just a caution, you may have to slow down a lot more than you've ever done for previous illnesses/injuries. I wasted a good month trying to do WAY TOO MUCH (including sex). It's surprising to me how little it takes to do too much while whatever ligaments, tendons, or nerves that were injured, heal. While recent medical advances indicate it's positively bad to rest too much, you may still have to bedrest a few days during the initial healing. I can only imagine how horrible it sounds to you, that you, a newlywed, might have to give up, or be much less robust in, sex and other favorite activities for a while; but looking more long range, if you successfully rebuild your back, you'll be enjoying sex for many more years than you would have, had you not been given this wakeup-call. Keep coming back, ask questions, and tell us how things are going!
randolph

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the group and thanks for posting. Things have been so slow around here lately, I thought everybody must have gone to the Moon or something...

I agree with everything randolph says and just wanted to add that the exercises you're doing now probably won't help your back much at this point. General calisthenics aren't designed to recondition the discs and ligaments in your lower back. They're actually too aggresive believe it or not.

You'd be better off starting out with the basic exercises in Dean's book which would take pages for me to try and explain here. Dean has made the book so cheap and done such an excellent job explaining everything that it's a no brainer.

Please understand that I mean this in the most friendly way: You're just wasting time trying to glean the information from the forum... after all we're talking about a 120-page book here. I know I don't feel like transcribing it and I doubt anyone else does either.

I could understand if Dean was charging $50 or something but have you even checked to see how little we're talking about? All he asks is a small donation to help keep the site running. I mean it just doesn't get any cheaper than that.

In the time you wasted just typing your post, you could have had the book in your hands and your questions would all be answered. Time to get smart and fix your back... and I mean that sincerely, Rob. Really.

I was hesitant to download something off the internet, too. (Which I suspect is your real concern.) I probably wouldn't have done it except for the fact that Dean uses Paypal and I knew I could always get my money back if it turned out to be a rip-off. It wasn't

Do yourself a favor, Rob. Get the book.

You won't be sorry,
Bill
Bill

The book works....

Postby krd » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:37 am

Hey all of you out there still undecided about Dean's book. I know that this stuff works. However, you have to take your time until you have no pain before taking on any of the strengthening exercises. The mild stretches will be OK, but even if they hurt, stop doing them. Remember, your body will tell you what feels good and what feels bad. Walking is the best thing to do early on, and then do the stretches. Get the book. If you have any doubts, just read all of the posts on all of the forums. I don't think anybody was dissapointed.

Ken
krd

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:22 pm

I have to correct my previous post. My wife just reminded me that we got the first edition of RYB for free and that we decided to donate after it fixed my back. As usual, she's right and I'm wrong. :oops:

I must have been thinking of something else. Sorry. It was almost three years ago and I've slept since then. :lol:

Still maintain that no one should hesitate to get the book.

Now where did I leave my glasses...

Bill
Bill

Postby Dana » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:17 pm

So Bill, what you're saying is you're getting old and senile.... :wink:

Dana
Dana

Postby Jason » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:51 pm

Anybody seen Bill's drool bib?
Jason

Postby Bill » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:11 pm

I can blot my own chin, thank you very much...
Bill

Postby Trina » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:58 pm

I'll believe that when I see it. :P
Trina

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain