Strange symptom

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Strange symptom

Postby Janice Lindsey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:22 am

Hi,

I didn't really mean to use my full name when I signed up. Guess I goofed. This is my first time posting to a forum ever so I didn't know how it worked. Hope there aren't any stalkers in the group. :)

I really like your forum. Like I said, this is the first time I've posted to this or any group, but I've been reading yours for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed. It is so great to be able to read messages from fellow sciatica sufferers who are so positive and upbeat. Other back pain forums are just so depressing. Everyone just sits around crying about how much pain they're in and what medications they should try next...

But enough about that.

My condition has been going on for nearly a year now. I have two bulging discs which appear to be my problem although my Doctor says that they are not major bulges. After reading the excellent articles on this website, I'm starting to think they may not be the problem at all.

I have had months of physiotherapy but instead of easing of the problem it seems to be getting worse.

My Question: Have any of you experienced pain in the back of your knees in connection with Sciatica?

I have had this problem for the past 3 months. It is especially painful when I stand after sitting for a short period of time. I can't find any info on this symptom anywhere but I'm sure it is related to the sciatica.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jan
Janice Lindsey

Postby randolph » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:27 am

Hello Jan!
As one sciatica sufferer to another, welcome aboard! So glad you made it here!! Yes, this Forum is a God-send to be sure. And if you haven't already, be sure to read (over and over) the articles and download Dean's excellent books.
The mysterious pain in the back of your knee sounds similar to one of the pain symptoms I suffer from. The pain in the back of my knee began when the other symptoms began (pain in the butt around the piriformis muscle, then down the hammy, behind the knee, sometimes behind the calf, even the front of the shin bone, then around the ankles, down the side of the foot, and numbing the little toe) so I assume it's part of the sciatica thing. But the important thing is that, 8 weeks after the initial injury, the pain is going away slowly as I do the beginning exercises, gently (amazing how little it takes to overdue it), eat super-nutrient foods, and relax.
Hard to say if the bulging discs are the problem. As you will read in the articles and books, the abnormalities that docs can see aren't necessarily connected with the pain we experience or the injuries we suffered. But the good news is that most of us experiencing back related pain can rebuild our backs stronger than they were, without medical intervention.
Dean reads these posts, so I'm hoping the webmaster can contact you to show you how to use just your first name as the "Author" in your posts, after you've goofed by putting in your last name. I haven't even been able to figure out how to get those smiley face things into my posts, so I can't help with that!
randolph

Postby SueAnn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi Jan

As I understand it, the sciatic nerve runs from the lumbar region of your lower back down through your legs including the back of the knee so it stands to reason that you could feel the pain anywhere along the nerve pathway. Some people feel it in the butt, some in the thighs, some in the feet. Basically pain anywhere along the path that the nerve runs is "normal" for sciatica.

I don't think it matters where you "feel" the pain as much as realizing that the problem is actually in your lower back. Most people make the mistake of trying to treat the pain at the location they feel it, rather than concentrating on their back where the cause of the pain originates.

I really recommend you get Dean's book, Rebuild Your Back because the exercises will help you align your spine and that's the only way you're going to take the pressure off of the sciatic nerve. Before I found this book I had been to 3 different chiropractors and a place called The Spine Connection that used a traction table device called "VAX-D" to stretch your back. The chiropractors didn't work at all and the traction table only worked as long as I kept going back every other day. Really, really expensive!!!!

After reading Dean's book, I realized that I couldn't depend on some machine for the rest of my life and so I started rebuilding my back. I used to have a burning achy pain in my right hip that's totally gone now since I started the exercises. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones cause it only took 2 weeks before the pain was gone for me.

Hope this helps,
SueAnn
SueAnn

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain