progress (sort of ) report

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

progress (sort of ) report

Postby randolph » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:07 pm

Hopin for feedback after my first week trying the RYB basic exercises. Especially from KRD as it appears your recovery/rebuilding process may be model for mine.
1. Been 4 weeks since chiro reinjured L4-L5/sciatic complex. If he exacerbated a ligament, most ligament/tendon healing likely mostly done, right? But if exacerbated ruptured disc (only have had xrays which indicate healthy space between vertebrae) healing could be another 2 weeks, right?
2. "Trying exercises" means can only stand for 30-60 seconds to do a couple side-bends, bend forward or back an inch or two from vertical, if I can straighten up at all. Only knee-ups and and hip-shrugs (on hands/knees) done without pain. Can lie on stomach for maybe a minute and almost can lean on elbows before pain starts to flare from butt, down hammy, behind knee and tingling bottom of foot. In AM, can do 10-15 mins of exercises before pain gets too bad, then rest/heat&ice for 30-60 mins; then more exercises, rest. By midafternoon, pain just won't subside to be able to do more, so rest/heat/ice till evening. All of which is an improvement over the first attempts at exercises. So, stay the course and continue doing what I can, right?
3. Taking low does of NCAID in AM to do exercises, and PM to sleep. Only time pain is gone is if lower back "frozen" by icepacks and immobile for over 30 mins. Any movement, even just crawling, and pain flares. Standing, even for a minute to reach into freezer for ice, and I'm guaranteed at least 15 mins grit-your-teeth pain while perched on top of the icepack. I read y'all say that "this too shall pass" ... but 4 weeks of this and some nights, staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep, with too much pain to read, write or do anything but moan, and suicide looks frighteningly attractive. Even now, reading stuff like the Bible (which my wife thinks would do me a world of good) just seems useless; I'm just a practical working man not much attracted to the theoretical/mystical. So evenings, while everyone else sleeps, been learning all the nations/capitals of the world and memorizing Spanish words. Anyone else got some useful ways to spend that long, lonely time during the wee hours, besides visiting this site every 2 hrs to read something more?
4. Thank God, and Dave Ramsey, our rainy day fund is sufficient to carry us into Easter '06 if it takes that long to get back into the big rig to earn $$; so I can go slow and gentle without the pressure of bill collectors making this bad situation even worse. I realize it took years of abuse till that leg squat first sent that searing pain down my right leg 6 weeks ago. The 3 weeks previous to that injury, the right hammy wouldn't stretch out and felt that sciatic pressure get steadily heavier (wondering what's this about, as I could always stretch a lot before and after daily exercise). So I'm not looking for the quick fix and really want to rebuild my back so I can drive the rig without fearing a reoccurrence of the withering pain. Does it appear I'm still one of the 90% who can recover w/o medical intervention?
Thanks for your thoughtful consideration!
randolph

I'm back

Postby krd » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:36 pm

Really take it easy. If you are experiencing any pain during your stretches, than stop doing them. All I did for the first 10 weeks was let the pain subside with very little exercise besides walking. The pain was excruciating and I thought it would never go away. Just shut down for a while, let the body mend itself, and when the pain is virtually gone, start the stretches. I couldn't even tie my shoes for 5 weeks. It will get better, just don't overdue early on. Remember, any injury needs some time to mend without working it too much. Lay back, read some good books, watch some good movies, take your wife and dog for a walk, and relax. When the pain lessen significantly, and it will, start the stretches very gently. Like you, the side bends bothered me. I am doing them now and the strengthening exercises. I also have an inversion table which appears to also help me decompress my spine. It works for me, but some think it doesn't do anything. Hang in there, I am praying for you and I know what you are going though.
krd

Postby James » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi randolph,

I've been reading your posts for the past week and thought I'd jump in and give an outsiders opinion. I agree with all the advice the others have been giving you, especially krd since he's been down the same road as you. Looking back, it seems that you did pretty well for about a day with the exercises from the Pain Relief book, but I get the impression you moved on right away to the RYB ones. Maybe it would be a good idea to just fall back to the super beginner level for a few days - maybe even a week and just get the pain under control before moving ahead?

I think you may still be overdoing it.
Jason
James

Postby randolph » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 pm

Thanks KRD and James/Jason for the feedback. The last week have been taking it slower and gentler, as you recommended. Last 4 days no NCAIDs! Standing up a bit more, with a little less pain, each day. Still very little flexibility w/ exercises ... but do what I can. Chompin' at the bit to do a bit of yardwork with the few minutes I have each day to stand (and take advantage of the wonderful fall we're having), but the family has hidden my tools and tell me to STAY DOWN OR ELSE!! Which is what I'm hearing from y'all. OK OK OK, anyone for a game (or 2, or 3 ...) of chess?
randolph

re. progress

Postby James » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:17 am

Hi randolph,

I've been wondering how you've been doing. Glad to hear that you're making some progress even if it is slow. Hang in there. You will make it.

Jason (aka "James")
James

Postby Bill » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Thanks for the progress report, randolph.

Whatever you do, let that yard work wait. You'll get a lot more done in less time once your back is 100%. The only goal on your mind right now should be recovery! If you get to feeling restless, just stand up and go for a walk. (That's assuming that walking doesn't cause you pain.)

Like Red Green says, "We're all pullin' for ya."

Bill
Bill

Postby randolph » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Thanks Y'all for the posts. There have been some pretty bleak days the last 6 weeks; having your encouragement to come back to here REALLY helps. And sometimes it takes reading your advice 20 times (I kid you not) before the little light goes on above my head and I see what y'all are talking about. So thanks for the efforts.
Today, another tiny step forward! There seems to be a very fine line, for me, between doing too much and not doing enough, but did it pretty good today: pushed myself a little farther on the easy exercises thru-out the day, but not so far that I caused grit-your-teeth pain, and otherwise relaxed. Doesn't sound like much, but it's taken 2 weeks of mostly failing (nothing like pain to learn by!) to feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this healing/rebuilding process.
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain