Exercise for Herniated Disc at L3-L4

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Exercise for Herniated Disc at L3-L4

Postby Tim Petersen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi,

I've been having back problems for a couple of years now and just recently had an MRI that showed a herniated disc at L3-L4. I just finished reading the book but I'm still wondering if you could tell me what would be a good exercise to help with that?

Tim
Tim Petersen

Postby John » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the group.

That's a good question. It was a similar situation which eventually brought me to this website so I'll try and answer it for you.

What I discovered (and what I think you'll see if you check the book again) is that rebuilding your back isn't about finding one specific exercise that will cure a herniated disc or whatever you think may be causing your pain. All of the exercises work together to build a healthy back. Only when your back is funcioning correctly as a whole will the individual parts stop giving you trouble. I hope that clarifies things for you.

John
John

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the group.

I agree with what John said. And here's something else to keep in mind. You could totally rebuild your back and still have a herniated disc at L3-L4 showing up on an MRI. It just wouldn't be a problem for you anymore and may even eventually heal on it's own and disappear because you've provided an environment that is conducive to healthy discs.

I don't know if that is what you wanted to hear or not, but that's the way it is I'm afraid. Maybe Dean or someone else can jump in here and explain it better.

Bill
Bill

Postby Dana » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi Tim,

I think John explained it pretty well. The book doesn't target individual symptoms because that's not the best way to approach the problem. I always tell people get your back in shape and the symptoms will take care of themselves.

Start with the basic exercises in the first part of the book and when the herniated disc or whatever stops causing you pain then start adding the advanced exercises in the second half.

Hope that answers your question,

Dana
Dana

Postby Tim Petersen » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but isn't there one exercise that is better for herniated discs than the others? I'm doing the basic exercises now but I would like to know which exercise would be the best one to add for healing a herniated disc? Is there one that you would recommend?

Tim
Tim Petersen

Postby Ellen » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:47 pm

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the group.

The mobilization and decompression exercises are good for your discs but I think it would be wrong to say that they can heal a herniated disc. Discs take a long time to heal and it's the body that does the healing, not the exercises.

Hope this helps,

Ellen
Ellen

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi Tim,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would recommend that you take a second look at the book. It's been awhile since I've read it but I seem to recall that it did a good job of explaining what each exercise was for. In fact, I just flipped it open to the advanced exercise section and sure enough along with the how to instructions is a brief blurb about why you should do that exercise.

Granted the book doesn't say "For a herniated disc, do this" but that's because that is the wrong way to approach rebuilding your back. If you take a closer look you'll see that the overall message was get your back in shape and like Bill said the symptoms will cease to be a problem.

I'm sure you already knew that, but it seems from your questions that maybe you misunderstood that somehow.

Paul
Paul

Postby Dean » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:03 pm

Hi everybody,

Dogpile on Tim!!!

Just kidding... Bunch of great answers guys. In fact, I think I'll sticky this one for the benefit of anyone else with a similar question.

Tim, the bottom line is; keep in mind that your back is a complex piece of living machinery and that everything has to be working properly AS A UNIT, not just as individual parts. In other words, it's a waste of time and energy to worry about targeting individual symptoms since they're only an indication that the overall machine has problems.

There is one underlying principle running throughout all of my books and that is that good health is the cure for any disease. And based on that premise, we have to realize that the best back rebuilding program is one that provides a balanced approach that doesn't favor or neglect any part of your back.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Tim Petersen » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi Dean,

Right, I'm starting to understand that now. I guess it was a dumb question.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Petersen

Postby Dean » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:52 pm

No, it wasn't a dumb question. There are no dumb questions. Like the saying goes, The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

By the way, I agree with Paul... it never hurts to go back and read the book a second time. Not because I don't think you can read... but because it's been my experience that people tend to rush over some parts of the book in their haste to try out the exercises.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Tim Petersen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Yeah, I am reading it through a second time now and I'm seeing a lot of stuff I missed the first time. It's really a great book by the way.

Tim
Tim Petersen

Postby Dean » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks Tim, glad you like it. Let us know how it goes and keep asking questions.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Tim Petersen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:46 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while been busy with work and family stuff. Just wanted to check in and bring you all up to date. My back is much better now. I haven't had any pain for weeks and I'm starting to get back into my old routine. I was even able to kick a soccer ball around with my son the other day something I never would have tried before.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. It really meant a lot to know other people were willing to care and help out when I was searching for answers. Can't thank you all enough.

Tim
Tim Petersen

Postby John » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Hi Tim,

Good to hear from you again. I"d been wondering how you were doing.

Sounds like things are going pretty well. Just don't over do it too soon. Take your time and make sure your back is really strong before you take on anything really wild and crazy. :wink:

And let's hear from you a little more often,
John
John

Return to Lower Back Pain