Sitting hurts!

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Sitting hurts!

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Hi,

First a little history. I was recently diagnosed with a rather large herniated disk (L5). I was able to view the MRI films myself, so I know the diagnosis is correct. Of course the spine surgeon wants to operate, which was no shock to me. I’m feeling pain/discomfort in my left leg, mostly above the knee. Standing and lying down give me no grief, it’s sitting that’s driving me crazy (and I know the reason why). And since I sit most of the day, it has been a real challenge! The Prednisone has helped a lot, but I took my last pill this morning. On top of my meds running out, I woke up Monday morning with the same amount of pain I was experiencing 7-10 days ago. It seems my recovery took a step backwards while I was sleeping. I’ve been doing the phase 1 stretching exercises for 10 days now (haven’t missed a day), minus the forward bends, since bending forward causes severe pain in my leg. RYB suggests modifying the cobra (moving my hip 3-4” away from the pain – to my right) if the leg pain doesn’t start moving up the leg after 3-4 days. I did this on Sunday night, and Monday morning is when my recovery took the step backwards. As of today, the pain hasn’t reduced any, and I went back to doing the standard cobra Monday night already.

Finally to my questions:
1. Could it be possible that the modified cobra caused my Monday morning setback?
2. Is the increase in pain a side effect of doing the modified cobra?
3. Should I just continue doing the modified cobra and bite the bullet, because eventually the pain will move up the leg and into the lower back?
4. Should I wait until all my pain is gone before I start the phase 2 strengthening exercises? (I know I need to wait at least six weeks for a herniated disk.)
5. Why is the sky blue?

Any and all help/advise with this would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Cheers,
Frank
Frank

Re: Sitting hurts!

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:17 pm

Frank wrote:1. Could it be possible that the modified cobra caused my Monday morning setback?

Seems unlikely as long as you didn't over do it. I would be more inclined to think that you tweaked your back rolling over in the night or something like that. Anything's possible of course.
2. Is the increase in pain a side effect of doing the modified cobra?

Shouldn't be. It's just a gentle stretching exercise. Only way to tell if it was the modified version would be to try it again in a few days.
3. Should I just continue doing the modified cobra and bite the bullet, because eventually the pain will move up the leg and into the lower back?

If you were making progress doing the normal cobra, I would suggest going back to it for a few days and see what that does. It's my understanding that the only time to modify the cobra is if you're not making any progress at all.
4. Should I wait until all my pain is gone before I start the phase 2 strengthening exercises? (I know I need to wait at least six weeks for a herniated disk.)

Generally speaking, yes. There are some good decompression exercises that you might want to try as long as they don't cause you pain. The advanced exercises are "advanced" mainly to keep someone with a torn ligament or other new injury from tearing it again.

If you're not dealing with a fresh injury, you can adapt to make the program fit you. In other words, some people can start doing them right away.

Keep in mind that there's no magic formula. What works for one person won't necessarily work the same for someone else. You may have to experiment a little with the exercises to find what works for you.

Also, remember that pinched nerves take longer to heal than just a back strain. If you haven't read it yet, read Dean's article on pinched nerves. He says basically that you're trying to relieve the pressure on the nerve and that isn't going to happen overnight unless you're just lucky.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Paul

sitting hurts

Postby Karen » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi there! I can sympathize with you !!!!

I have (had) the same problems, and I can tell you that discs need a long time to heal. Get up and walk as much as you can through the day, but I would advise against any further stretching until you heal... large doses of ibproffen for the swelling, ice, baths, meditation ,WATER....drink tons... and patience! You are aggrivating the disc by trying the exercises too soon and may cause more damage than good.

Best of Health to you, Karen
Karen

REST!!!!

Postby krd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:12 pm

I agree with Karen. I hurt my back and had my first sciatic flare up in April of this year. It hurt big time. I tried to stretch and do the exercises in the book, but it didn't help in the beginning. I too could not sit too long so I tried to work from home as much as possible and could move around a lot more. Try to completely "shut down" as much physical exercise for a while. I had to not do any exercises for approximately 2.5 months before I noticed a change in the pain. It was then that I started the stretches and getting back to golf and walking. I bothers me sometimes, but overall it is so much better. Drink plenty of water and relax. As the old saying goes "this too will pass". Do not opt for surgery if at all possible. Just be patient and all will be fine.
krd

Postby randolph » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:03 am

Hi Frank
The previous replies all say some good things - in case you're a die hard scoffer like me, read them over a few times till the info sinks in. All I can add is: have you downloaded The Pain Relief Manual? In case you haven't, don't miss the chapter on the 30-3-30 water treatment. It sounded pretty goofy to me the first two tiimes I read it, but after using it just two hours (no drugs!), 5 weeks of unimaginable sciatic pain was over. Who knows if the water treatment will work for you as well as it did for me, but good grief, it's free (well almost - just a reasonable donation to download the eBook) and do-able and certainly worth a try wouldn't you say!?! There's light at the end of this tunnel, brother!
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain