WHEN DO YOU KNOW YOU NEED SURGERY?

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

WHEN DO YOU KNOW YOU NEED SURGERY?

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:55 pm

My Husband has suffered for almost 2 years, the ortho. feels surgery is the really the only option.

He has severe pain in the back of his thigh and his lower back hurts all the time.

He has tried chiro, accupuncture, herbs and now takes pain meds.

He doesn't have insurance so surg. dr. bills, anesthisia, hosp. etc will all be out of pocket... in otherwords lifetime of debt.
Anne

Postby Steven » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:40 am

Hi Anne,

I'm not a doctor so the following us just what I've read:

The only time surgery is "required" is if you are experiencing pain in what they call "the saddle area" which is the part of your buttocks, crotch and thighs that would be in contact with a saddle. (And I think they mean the entire area not just one spot. Check with your doctor to be sure.)

Or, you are having neurological symptoms that are steadily getting worse. This would be like if the pain in the leg started in the thigh and kept progressing down the leg.

I don't think either of these are happening or your surgeon whould have had your husband in surgery immediately. The fact that he allowed you to leave tells me that there is no immediate danger and you still have time to try "conservative care."

I noticed you tried several things which all claim to be "conservative care" but what they are are nothing more than feeble attempts to "sell" you temporary pain relief. (And as you found out, they don't work.)

Back pain is caused by an underlying mechanical problem. The only way to really stop the pain is to correct the mechanical problem. The surgeon wants to do it surgically. Most of us around here suggest you try doing it through exercise first. Surgery has a 90% failure rate. Rebuilding has shown a better than 90% success rate... and it costs nothing to exercise.

Rebuilding may not work for you. Nothing is perfect. But I would strongly recommend putting off the surgery for as long as you can and giving it a very serious try.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. No harm done.

On the other hand, surgery is final. There's no going back. If it fails you can have to live with the results.

Your surgeon may turn out to be right, but I don't think you've exhausted all of your options yet.

I hope this helps,
Steven
Steven

Return to General Health Topics