L4/L5 Surgery

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

L4/L5 Surgery

Postby Mike12 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:28 pm

I went thru a microdiscectomy in 2002. There is now another large bulge at the same location that I've been struggling with since March. I've been through PT and 4 epidural injections. Currently taking 2000mg of ibuprofen to relieve some of the pain and inflammation.

The neurosurgeon is now indicating that surgery is the only way to relieve pressure off of the nerve. There are no guarantees that surgery will cure the problem, only relieve the pressure on the nerve. I've started the exercises in the book. Any thoughts/ideas from anyone?
Mike12

Postby Bill » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Mike,

I would definately hold off on the surgery as long as you can. I read somewhere that the American Academy of Orthopeadic Surgeons actually recommends you delay surgery for up to 6 months if you don't have a serious potential nerve damage problem. They recommended physical therapy during that time to see if the problem couldn't be resolved.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Bill
Bill

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi Mike,

I agree with Bill. Put off the surgery if you can.

Good luck,
Paul
Paul

Try not to operate!!!

Postby PeteD » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:02 pm

Hello there

Try not to operate just yet.... research in England has shown how the US surgeons dive right in!!! There is a journal called Spine! My boss co-authors it (im a research doctor at a UK Uni)

Two interesting facts about treatment of backs in USA

The amount of back surgery is directly proportional in the US to the amunt of surgeons local to those populations...coincidence....

The other thing that was frightening was a case was put to a number surgeons aat a spine conference and they said all the procedures they would try.....when asked if they would have them they said 'God no!'

Problem with op on disc is this.

The last op you had was a double edged sword. Picture the disc with bulge as a scab on a cut. They removed the scab...no more pressure hence no more pain but the wound is much more likely to bleed or in the case of discs properley herniate as removing the disc bulge further weakens the outer part of the disc!!!

Just remember it might not be the disc causing the pain!!!

Take good care

PeteD
PeteD

Re: L4/L5 Surgery

Postby Mike12 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:22 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I started doing the "cobra" and other exercises on Tuesday, 8/23. Although it's still rough in the mornings getting up, I am now off of the ibuprofen and the "pins and needles" in my leg has subsided.

I'm postponing the surgery option and giving Dean's exercise routine a chance. It's interesting that the Discovery Health channel had a show regarding Back Pain. The show looked at alternatives to surgery. There are options that are successful that do not relie on surgery.
Mike12

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:49 am

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you're making progress. Would really hate to see you have the surgery again.

Keep us posted,
Bill
Bill

Return to Lower Back Pain