Seated Chair Twist

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Seated Chair Twist

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:04 pm

My orthopedist has warned me against the seated chair twist, saying that if any flexion is envolved its easy to reinjure a disc or ligament. He said if I do it, I should be perfectly upright at all times, but strongly advised against doing it all. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Best, Lee
Lee

Postby randolph 2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am

It sounds, Lee, like your orthopaedist is applying 2 general principles and giving sound advice in a specific situation, so it might be a bit confusing.

Principle 1: strive to make any physical movement with a neutral spine, that is, with a STRAIGHT spine in the direction of movement. Thus the helpful advice to lift a weight from the ground by standing straight, then bending your legs at the knees, keeping your back perpendicular to the ground - rather than bending at the waist - to grab the weight and lift, as much as possible, with your legs. Got the picture?

Principle 2: prevent re-injury of an herniated disc, e.g., especially soon after injury, by avoiding ANY movement of tissues around the injured disc that causes pain. This can be done with meds like NSAIDs (so you can move as usual without pain), and/or gradually increasing exercise tolerance of the injured disc as it heals (when using physical therapy to assist in the body's healing).

My guess is the orthopaedist, being a typically, frantically rushed doc, didn't take the time to explain the advice given. So, perhaps, another lesson is to be pro-active, and take the time and risk to ask the doc anytime you wonder why certain advice is given. My experience is that docs will take the time to explain as much as you want to listen, but, for whatever good or bad reasons, they seem to assume we patients want to know as little as possible unless we tell them otherwise.

So. personally, I'd have no fear doing the seated chair twist if you keep constant vigilance to maintain a neutral spine, and cease twisting when you're starting to feel pain or discomfort.

Randolph
randolph 2

Postby Ragtop » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:39 pm

I've been doing many of the exercises in the program for several months now, and the one that's most helpful to me is the seated chair twist. I often get low back pain and sciatica after sitting or standing for long periods. When I do the seated twist, I will often get some really nasty pops from my back (much like from a chiropractor). The first time it really scared the heck out of me, but I got immediate relief so I've continued to do it with ongoing good results.

Obviously, everyone's different - and I'd never tell you to ignore your Doctor's advice. But it works for me :o
Ragtop

Return to Lower Back Pain