Cold Laser Therpy and PT exercise questions

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Cold Laser Therpy and PT exercise questions

Postby mae » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:21 pm

I have an L5 S1 injury. Had horrific pain down the side and back of leg after a strenuous bike ride. After morphine shot, vicodin and naproxen there is no pain really any more, just tenderness depending on how I move and stiffness. Pain subsided w/in 1-2 wks. I now have numbness (which started 2nd day) on the bottom and left side of foot and weakness. Cannot walk on ball of foot. I am 6 weeks out from the injury and I understand that healing of nerves can take 6 months or more. Has anyone every heard of or tried cold laser therapy for nerve damage? Also, I asked the sports phys about squats and he was hesitant. He said my form would need to be 100% perfect or I could really screw things up. I have been to PT twice now but my stretches seem pretty simplistic. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be at this point. Laying down and hugging knees, bird dog, mini bridge lift, very mini crunch and very light hamstring stretch. Initially I was not able to do flexion w/o having pain in the rear so I have no exercises for that now. I think I have improved and plan to mention that when I see the PT in 2 wks again. I want to take advantage and be proactive at this early state but also don't want to go to fast and risk further injury. Any insights or direction are appreciated! I'm 34 and have 3 little kiddos that need a functioning mom. It's amazing how quickly your life can change! I thought I was in pretty decent physical condition but I had obviously not been taking good care of my back. Something I will not take for granted again!
mae

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain