"Invesion Tables" comments/questions

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

"Invesion Tables" comments/questions

Postby Raymond » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:40 am

Anyone had any experience/results with the Teeter Inversion Table?
I purchased one about a week ago and found out the following so far:

1. I started inverting at 25 degrees but changed it to 15 degrees backward incline.

2. I noticed that as gravity pulled on my whole body (with my feet locked into the foot holds), the pain in my sciatica affected right leg seemed more intense and I could only do a few minutes of invesion.

3. I just started PT, which includes a "decompression table" in which I am fitted with a shoulder harness and a pelvic harness. My legs and feet are elevated and supported on a foam block. The decompression pulls only my upper body and not my legs. Realizing that this type of support and pulling of the upper body only at the PT, I rigged a pelvic harness with a tool belt from Lowes and used light chain on each site of the belt that runs down to the foot supports. I have adjusted the chain length such that my legs are bent at about 10 degrees. My initial trial last night for just a minute or two indicated that the stretching pressure (pulling) on my legs was elimiated and allowed only my upper body and back to be stretched by gravity to hopefully assist in "decompression" of my discs (including my L4-L5 that recently had a herniated disc with sciatica pain in the right leg, foot, and numbness in the foot itself).

I just downloaded Dean's book and noticed that the "Squat" is supposed to also aid in decompression and trying that I did find some pain reduction.

Just like the Chiro's fancy decompression machines I wonder if the Teeter Inversion Table is just a bunch of hype. ALSO, PEOPLE WHO HAVE GLAUCOMA, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND A HOST OF OTHER MEDICAL ISSUES ARE ADVISED BY THE TEETER COMPANY NOT TO USE THEIR BED!! ( I suspect that is for people who try to do the "full" upside down inversion, which seems to me to be asking for trouble which is why I set mine at 15 degrees since a doc out in California found that 10-15 degrees of inversion based on followup X-Rays and MRI's showed herniated disc reduction at these reduced angles.)

Any feedback, comments, opinions, or other insights into table inversion devices would be greatly appreicated.

Also, as a side comment, I am starting water suspension therapy in a hospital run therapy pool on Monday. When I was being shown the facility I did notice that they had a Teeter Inversion Table available (under supervision use only).

Raymond
Cape Coral, Fl
Raymond

Postby mattgso » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 pm

I have an inversion table and the decline is very slight so I can stay on it for 20 minutes a time. I'll put a heating pad in the area of my bad disc while I'm on it.

My leg pain can be screaming bad and when I get on the table, it hurts worse for a couple minutes but then feels better.

When I get off, I feel a lot better. Wish I could sneak it to work and hide it in my office. :D
mattgso

modified inversion table

Postby Slouching John » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm

I might have to try the lowe's tool belt thing. My ankles really get a workout, and I'm a little afraid to stay on long, fearing my feet will slip. I don't know the brand, but it was just a hundred bucks on ebay, probably bottom of the line.
Slouching John

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain