extreme leg pains

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

extreme leg pains

Postby pal » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:31 am

Hi there, I pulled my lower back muscle about 6 weeks ago. It took roughly 3 weeks to heal. I started to do light running for 15 mins at a time 3 times a week. At the time I had pulled my back muscle I did have a tingle of pain in my thigh. This continued and now 6 weeks later I have extreme pain shooting through my leg and now to the top of my foot.
I have been to physio and doctors who inform me that I have sciatica. I am generally fit and was wondering how long this will last. I hear its best to keep mobile, I am taking pain killers and anti -inflamulary tablets for the past week, and really think I am the same as last week. Its painful to walk and sit and sleep! Any advice?? Thanks.
pal

Postby Jackie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:29 am

Hi. yes it's best to keep active but if you have a pinched nerve it is best to really take it easy on the exercises, very gentle and low impact. if you can and your physiotherapist and dr ok it maybe just get to the pool and do some walking. my physio told me don't do the flutter kick but gentle whip kick on my back was ok. Dean's book has good gentle exercises for decompressing the spine, if you have the book take it to your physio. you will get better as long as you don't push it. It has been a long haul for me and I do have to take a low dose of medication for nerve pain but I am getting better and so will you. I found gentle traction through using an inversion table a few minutes a day has done wonders. Physios are trained in performing gentle traction. good luck. stay positive, back injuries can take quite a while to heal but you can speed the healing by not overdoing it.
Jackie

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain