Lumbar Spinal stenosis

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lumbar Spinal stenosis

Postby Zeph » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Hello all, I've been diagnosed with Lumbar Spinal stenosis. I did PT for a few weeks without much relief. 2 major problems were back pain and leg weakness. I couldn't walk far at all and up stairs by the end of the day was torture. I had 2 epidural injections and the back pain is 90% better. I want to work on leg strengthening and remove the pins and needless from my leg Not sure if rest or exercise is best at this point. I don't want to make the leg weakness and numbness worse. Any similar experiences or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Zeph

Postby TBone » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:40 am

Hey Zeph,

In my experience, rest is only good if you are absolutely in too much pain to do anything. Your ligaments, muscles and discs need movement in order to heal. That being said, I would only engage in activities that don't aggravate the pain. For me, back in December, I could only walk, so that is what I did. It may take some time, but you will heal. Just be patient (slow and steady wins the race) and remember that if you can make it worse, you can also make it better.
TBone

Return to Lower Back Pain