SI Joint Pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

SI Joint Pain

Postby lprecious123 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 pm

I Have been suffering with pain just above my right hip for nine years since the birth of my first child.

I am a keen sports person but am finding other symptoms are kicking in now like knee pain and just day to day activities like bending down ,turning in bed and even coughing now induce pain.

I have had private physio to diagnose this problem and after half a dozen sessions have seen no improvement at all.

I have also had acupressure to balance all my muscles this has helped to
ease my pain however the therapist thinks I need a hip x ray.

I am 37 years old and desperately want to continue to be sporty. What do I need to do now?
lprecious123

SI joint pain

Postby Jackie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi there. I suffered with SI joint pain for over a year. I sympathize with you, it is debilitating. I also did physio and I spent a lot of time at the pool. Riding a stationary bike helped as well, however what finally got rid of the lingering ache was prolotherapy. It is expensive and unpleasant but did the job. I had that done in January and had 5 treatments about 10 days apart. The pain has not returned but I do ache for a few minutes sometimes in the morning if I have been on my feet and walking a lot the day before. I don't know if this helps, my SI joint was getting better slowly after the physiotherapist realigned them but it took a long time and the prolotherapy sped up the strengthening of that joint. I hope you get some relief soon. that pain is no fun. At one point I could barely walk. I also do trigger point massage therapy which loosens up that piriformis muscle. take care, I hope this helps.
Jackie

Postby TBone » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 am

Jackie,

I am glad to hear you got better with prolo...for me it has been the only method that has been curative. All other forms of back treatment seem to only treat the symptoms and never offer a complete healing of the injury.

Did you have a misaligned pelvis or a leg length discrepancy that led to your SI pain?

TBone
TBone

Postby Jackie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Tbone
my SI joint pain developed some time after I took a fall down the stairs and landed on my right foot, jarring myself. I was walking around misaligned for 8 months, one shoulder was higher than the other. it was when the physiotherapist discovered the SI joint problem and realigned me that I very very slowly started to get better. I'm glad that you had success with the prolotherapy. it certainly took away that ache in my SI.
take care
Jackie
Jackie

Postby TBone » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:16 pm

How long did it take for the prolo to rid you of the ache?
TBone

Postby Jackie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Tbone. it took 5 prolo sessions, 10 days apart each so about 2 months.
Prior to that it took 4 months from the time the physiotherapist realigned my joints (that was excruciating), with lots of pool time, then progressing to stationary bike and then walking to get the pain from disabling to that dull persistent ache. It was the two months of prolo that got rid of the ache. how long have you been doing prolo and how many sessions to get rid or your back pain?
Jackie

Postby TBone » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:10 am

I have been getting prolo since November of 2008 at about 6 week intervals. My prolo doc ran some other tests and determined that my adrenal glands were depleted. This happened likely due to the depression...I had some very dark days last year. This is likely due to my MRI being interpreted 3 different ways. I had a 2mm bulge...1 doc gave me a very grave prognosis. I believed his prognosis.

I spent 7 months hiding my anxiety from my family and I finally broke down. The adrenal deficiency was hampering the healing process and creating chronic insomnia. Once I started taking the adrenal meds, my sleep began getting better...it took about 3 months for the meds to replenish the adrenals.

Sometime around May, I started noticing that I wasn't always feeling the pain. Some functions started to improve. I am still very limited...I am not able to be as active as I'd like, but the pain being gone is great. I used to have a constant burning pulse that started at my left SI joint and shot down into my tailbone. I couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes. And the stability of my pelvis is much better.

It's a whole lot more manageable now. So far I have had 6 prolo treatments spanning over 7 months. I don't know how many more I'll need. The pain has centralized to one tiny area over my SI. There used to be pain everywhere...now it's just sore over the SI. I really want to be active like I used to be, but I am taking it slow. I am afraid to do anything dynamic...but I am thankful to be able to sleep, rehab and work without pain.

Someday, I will be back out on the golf course!
TBone

Postby Jackie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi Tbone. sounds like you are really on the upswing. Depression is so common to chronic pain, I had no idea about adrenal depletion. As I still have problems with disc pain I'm finally getting into the pain clinic where I will spend five hours with professionals, including a psychiatrist and psychologist. should be interesting and maybe just a bit intimidating. I continue to imrpove very slowly but the flareups are bad and discouraging. I do believe you will be on the golf course again! take care
Jackie
Jackie

Postby TBone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 am

Jackie,

What does disc pain feel like? I had a herniated disc in 2001 that was so painful, I could barely walk, but then the disc "unbulged" and after a month or so I was "OK". Only after I did prolo in 2002 & 2003 did I feel normal again...like nothing had ever happened.
TBone

Postby Jackie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Tbone, the sensation varies. At it's worst the pain is very sharp and stabbing and waxes and wanes, it is in my sacrum/tailbone area as the herniation/bulge is in the middle of the disc. The neurosurgeon called it disc pain as there is no significant nerve root impingement. Probably very similar to what you felt when you herniated your disc. Sometimes the sensation is not so much of pain but intense pressure as if someone is pushing their thumb hard into the middle of my lower back. does that sound likie the pain you experienced?
Jackie

Postby TBone » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Jackie,

I've never had the pressure pain that you described. Mine has been off to the side in the left SI Joint and down the left side of the tailbone. The tailbone pain has improved since I've been getting prolo. It used to pulsate constantly...even when lying down and sitting was simply out of the question.

When I herniated the L5 S1 disc in 2001, the pain was not measurable. I couldn't even lift a fork, walk, roll over in bed...I truly wanted to die for that period of time. If I moved even the slightest amount, there was a sharp deep knifing pain.

I remember reading a while back about discogenic pain. The good news is that almost everybody who experiences it gets better around 2 years after the initial episode...you've got to be getting close, yes?
TBone

Postby Jackie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Tbone. I figure it will be sometime yet before I am significantly better. yes, the neurosurgeon said two or three years for discogenic pain to get better. I think the first year was bulging disc pain and it changed last year in April, I think that is when the disc herniated. I'm kind of counting from that time, not the initial episode to make myself feel better. I am getting better, just at an incredibly slow rate. I know what you mean about intense pain, I was in horrible pain too for about four months that was completely debilitating. when I get frustrated I remind myself of that time. I really am glad you are getting better, I have read your posts and even saw one from someone giving you #$*# (I think it was Yannick??) not nice, chronic pain is rough. You sound optimistic and I am optimistic too. are you taking any meds or doing physio/massage therapy? just curious, always good to hear what works. I think prolo is considered controversial but when it works boy does it work!
Jackie

Postby TBone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:25 am

Hi Jackie,

I appreciate your kind words. I try to be optimistic, although sometimes I can get gloomy...I want to return to my active lifestyle, but I have to be patient. Some helpful thoughts that I use when I get down are how bad it once was...if you can make it worse, then you can make it better...docs have names for every condition, but like snowflakes, nobody is exactly the same, and therefore no condition is exactly the same and so a diagnosis is simply a doc's way of putting you in a "category" but not to be taken as fact. The one doc that told me prolo wouldn't help...I am glad I didn't listen to him.

I don't take anything for pain, because it isn't too painful anymore...I seem to lack the stability to do anything dynamic like swing a golf club. At this point I have trouble filling the hours because I am used to playing sports. I do stretch, do strengthening exercises, and walk 2 miles daily. In order to make sure that I don't go backwards, I have a standing workstation...I think that also helps to make me stronger. My wife massages my back 3 times a week.

As far as prolo being controversial...maybe...but C. Everett Koop was a patient and administered it. I think it's a very safe and natural way to treat issues that don't respond to standard treatments. All it really does is stimulate your body to heal itself. I am seeing that more and more pro athletes are turning to it to heal injuries.

Take it easy
TBone

Return to Lower Back Pain