Sciatica question & My DRX experience

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Sciatica question & My DRX experience

Postby Lee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:41 am

Hi All,

On sciatica, when experiencing numbness or tingling in one of my legs and feet is it ok to do the exercises prescribed in RYB? Or should I wait to see if the symptoms go away first?

I'm 38 and after an MRI was diagnosed with a 6-7mm herniation at L4/L5 and a 5mm herniation at L5/S1, both centrally located.

I've already completed 20 DRX sessions at L4/L5 & 9 at L5/S1. All of the sessions provided some temporary relief, but my symptoms always recur after any extended period sitting, which unfortunally I do all day at work :cry:

I've incorporated most the RYB exercises into my twice daily exercise routine and frequently perform the stretches throughout the day. After about three months of simultaneous DRX, therapy, and RYB, for the very first time today my right leg started to tingle and is now bordering on numbness. I'm not sure if this is a sign of improvement or that things are getting worse. The usual soreness in my lower back seems to be about the same. Any input on the new sciatic sensation showing up at this stage of my recovery would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried that maybe I'm overdoing it and should slow down on the RYB exercises (particularly the Cobra/Mckenzie).

Best,
Lee
Lee

Postby Dean » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm

You should be all right with the Cobra and other exercises, but you might want to skip the forward bending exercises until the sciatica symptoms are well behind you.

The forward bending exercises are great if you're trying to rehab scarred ligaments, but they tend to work against you when it comes to herniated discs.

Try substituting the forward bending exercises with some of the additional hydrating and decompression exercises from the advanced section.

Someday in the future you will be able to add the forward exercises back into your routine.
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Lee » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 am

Dean wrote:You should be all right with the Cobra and other exercises, but you might want to skip the forward bending exercises until the sciatica symptoms are well behind you.

The forward bending exercises are great if you're trying to rehab scarred ligaments, but they tend to work against you when it comes to herniated discs.

Try substituting the forward bending exercises with some of the additional hydrating and decompression exercises from the advanced section.

Someday in the future you will be able to add the forward exercises back into your routine.

Thank you. Just to clarify, when you mention forward bending exercises does that include "the cat", "the squat", "sit ups", and "the lumbar roll"?

And thank you for for your wonderful book. My back is still very much a work in progress, but reading your book has restored my sense of hope. Lee
Lee

Postby Dean » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm

The "cat" and "squat" should be fine, but I would avoid sit-ups and the lumbar roll.
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain