Unbalanced muscles

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

Unbalanced muscles

Postby Rebecca » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi
Since I have begun reading Deans book and evaluating my posture and strength, I have noticed that I have uneven shoulders. My right shoulder twists back and is about .5 incher lower than my left. This is the shoulder that aches the most. The muscles in my higher left shoulder and thicker and shorter than those on my right. Anyway, my question is-should I do more exercises on my right shoulder to strengthen it or should I do the exercises an even # of times on both sides? Finally, why is a bulging disc in my neck causing this shoulder pain? Thanks-Rebecca
Rebecca

Postby Dean » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:12 am

Hi Rebecca,

Generally speaking I wouldn't be too concerned about the differences in your shoulder at this point. No one is perfectly symetrical and what you're observing is probably normal. It's good that you're paying attention to your posture, but don't be over critical. For now I would recommend sticking with balanced exercise. If after a couple of weeks you find that you're not improving you could try experimenting with doing more on your weakest side to see if a muscle imbalance is indeed part of the problem. But for now, just stick with the basic routine.

As far the bulging disc is concerned, there is a very good possibility that it has nothing to do with your condition at all. I'm currently preparing a new article for the site on herniated discs that should surprise a lot of people and put all of your minds at ease.

In a nutshell, I've got clinical research going back 10 to 15 years which shows that well-over half the population in the U.S. has herniated discs whether they have back/neck pain or not. These studies all suggest - their words not mine - that bulging discs are being extremely over-diagnosed as a cause of back and neck pain.

There's a lot more good news about bulging discs as well including proof they do heal and that 90 percent of the time they will totally disappear if treated with exercise. Again, their words not mine.

Surgery is almost never necessary.

Bottom line: Most back and neck pain is not serious. It may be painful, it may be annoying, it is definately inconvenient... but it is not something to become too concerned about. It is totally correctable.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain