Help I am new and have a question

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Help I am new and have a question

Postby McCollum » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:44 pm

For a while I blamed my lower back pain to sleeping on my stomach. I prefer to sleep that way. Is that bad or good or does it have nothing to do with lower back pain. I made the donation and downloaded the book " Rebuild your Back" and started the program today. I realy would like to go back to sleeping on my stomach.
McCollum

Had the same problem

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi-I loved to sleep on my back and it did seem to agrivate my pain. Of course, I was over weight and sleeping on my stomach made the pain worse beacause I was bending my spine. I changed to sleeping on my side and that really helped. Guess it was a compromise but I did get use to it without a lot of trouble.
CJ

Re: Help I am new and have a question

Postby sbdiscoveries » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:05 am

McCollum wrote:For a while I blamed my lower back pain to sleeping on my stomach. I prefer to sleep that way. Is that bad or good or does it have nothing to do with lower back pain. I made the donation and downloaded the book " Rebuild your Back" and started the program today. I realy would like to go back to sleeping on my stomach.

If you're getting old, you may need to give up sleeping on your stomach, because over time (and weight gain and/or sagging matress) the bend in your spin becomes greater and that allows for bulging discs. If you then lift somethng wrong, the vertabrae clamp down on thge bulged disc causing the spinal nerve to be pinched. Once that happens, "pain" can appear anywhere on your body dependig on what nerves are getting pinched,....I'm not a doctor, but start sleeping in a firm place and on your back or side.....I've just gotten an inversion table and it does wonders for this and also allows me to exercise and keep my spine flexible.....and now,...I catch myself sleeping on my stomach,...but it just feels good that way sometimes now. :-)
sbdiscoveries

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain