Lumbar Micro surgery is it the answer help

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lumbar Micro surgery is it the answer help

Postby sander134 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 pm

I have had a doctor advise Lumber Microsurgery. I have been told that I have a herniated/degenerative disc L-4. This has put pressure on my nerve. The docs are all suggesting the surgery. I feel no pain currently. I have been stretching and doing yoga and it has helped tremendously. I do not have full strenght in my left foot, mostly toes. What do you all think. Does anyone know if I can have permanent damage to my nerve?
Thanks
sander134

Re: Lumbar Micro surgery is it the answer help

Postby acw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:10 am

sander134 wrote:I have had a doctor advise Lumber Microsurgery. I have been told that I have a herniated/degenerative disc L-4. This has put pressure on my nerve. The docs are all suggesting the surgery. I feel no pain currently. I have been stretching and doing yoga and it has helped tremendously. I do not have full strenght in my left foot, mostly toes. What do you all think. Does anyone know if I can have permanent damage to my nerve?
Thanks

Have you tried Traction yet?

What is your age? Sometimes, this can affect the recovery time from surgery.

Do you have numbness in your toes?
acw

Re: Lumbar Micro surgery is it the answer help

Postby sander134 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:46 pm

acw wrote:
sander134 wrote:I have had a doctor advise Lumber Microsurgery. I have been told that I have a herniated/degenerative disc L-4. This has put pressure on my nerve. The docs are all suggesting the surgery. I feel no pain currently. I have been stretching and doing yoga and it has helped tremendously. I do not have full strenght in my left foot, mostly toes. What do you all think. Does anyone know if I can have permanent damage to my nerve?
Thanks

Have you tried Traction yet?

What is your age? Sometimes, this can affect the recovery time from surgery.

Do you have numbness in your toes?

Thanks...
My age is 37
I have not tried Traction. I have heard about that but it has never been offered. Who does this?
I no longer have numbness in my toes. I only have some weakness there, but it has progressively been getting better.
sander134

No surgery

Postby MusicSentry » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 am

Sander,

Don't even consider surgery. I experienced a horrible back injury last Nov. and 11 weeks later my foot drop is almost gone and my strength has returned.

The people who have surgery are mainly the people who don't want to exercise. I had intense pain, numbness all over my leg, and a foot that wouldn't move.

Also note, I am a physical therapist and I'm the worst case I have ever seen. Be patient, and the strength will come back. The MDs told me if I didnt act, I would have permanent nerve damage. Yeah, right.

All the Best,

Colin
MusicSentry

Re: No surgery

Postby sander134 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 pm

MusicSentry wrote:Sander,

Don't even consider surgery. I experienced a horrible back injury last Nov. and 11 weeks later my foot drop is almost gone and my strength has returned.

The people who have surgery are mainly the people who don't want to exercise. I had intense pain, numbness all over my leg, and a foot that wouldn't move.

Also note, I am a physical therapist and I'm the worst case I have ever seen. Be patient, and the strength will come back. The MDs told me if I didnt act, I would have permanent nerve damage. Yeah, right.

All the Best,

Colin

Thank's Colin
That has been my experience as well. That is why I am extremely reluctant over having the surgery. I am an avid golfer and havent had any problems. The MD's told me the same thing about the nerve and it seams that nobody even the MD's know when or if the damage becomes permanent.
sander134

Postby Jackie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi. I find it hard to believe that surgery is recommended even though you are improving. Here in Canada neurosurgeons really discourage that as a first option, telling patients to wait 3-6 months and come back if no improvement. The Stat for failed back surgery is as high as 40%. PTs really know what they are doing if they have the medical reports, just stick to what is recommended by a PT for exercises and don't push it or deviate as you can really hurt yourself. Good luck and so glad you are getting better.
Jackie

Return to Lower Back Pain