What do you guys think of my plan ?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

What do you guys think of my plan ?

Postby seabound » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

New here but I've been reading for some time. I got the book yesterday and have to admit, I am really positive about the first 55 pages that I have read.

So I have started phase 1 yesterday and this is what I plan on doing everyday until I am ready to move on to phase II.

Morning - I am always in a rush and can't spend too much time there. So I plan on doing the following a few minutes after getting up:

* Cobra 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1

Do you guys think this should be enough to wake up my back properly for a day at work ?

During The Day - I have already started doing the Standing Back Bend. I can easily fit this stretch 4 or 5 times during a regular day at work.

Evening just before Bed

* Cobra 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1
* Side Bends
* Hip Shrugs
* Knee Ups
* Forward Bend (not too sure about this one since I am still stiff and I have some sciatica problems too)
* Standing Back Bends.

Any feedback is welcomed. Please let me know and don't be shy.

Thanks !! :D
seabound

Postby seabound » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:31 am

Well since nobody is replying, I thought I'd be using this forum as a log for my progression :P

I've been having problems with my back for as long as I remember. When I was a kid, my back would "lock" and I would have to stay in bed for the day after seeing the chiropractor. This was random and did't prevent me from being a little active.

Fast forward to 22 years old (that's 7 years ago), I was having muscular lower back pain everytime I would walk for more than 15 minutes. Went to see a chiropractor again. It went well for some time. Then I changed job and I think that was the trigger point for me as it made me become a lot more sedentary. A few years after, I had my first episode of sciatica nerve problem. Kept on going to the chiropractor. The sciatica problem eventually went away. In the past 4 years or so, I've been having a few episodes of nerve pinching occurences.

Fast forward to last friday (november 28th), where I'm at work, everything is fine, out of the blues, I start having pain in the lower right back. Which led me to go online and find this website after actually finding losethebackpain which I found too expensive and too "occult".

November 29th: My back is pretty stiff in the lower parts. Sciatica pain starts to appear. I had been at least a year without it. I'm not impressed. So I end up not doing much that day.

November 30th: More sciatica pain when I wake up. Plus I have to get to work. I usually work sitting, but that is out of the question. So I spend the 6 hours of work standing up and walking. It helps a little bit.

December 1st: I download the book and read the first 55 pages. Phase 1.
In the evening, I go on about doing The cobra 1-2-3-2-1.

December 2nd: I wake up in the morning, feeling a little better, the sciatica pain is a little less. End of the day, visit at the chiropractor. I get out of there, no more pain. I'm impressed !! Before going to bed, I proceed with doing the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 along with the other exercices I have listed in my previous post.

December 3rd: I wake up in the morning with some sciatica pain. I do the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 and back bends, it helps right away and I go on with my day. After walking a little and a couple back bends and leg stretches, It feels better. Before going to bed, I proceed with doing the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 along with the other exercices I have listed in my previous post.

December 4th: I wake up and I have a lot more sciatica pain, I actually have to pause before I fully stretch my legs when I get out of bed. I do the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 and back bends, it helps right away and I go on with my day, but it takes a little more than the previous day. Before going to bed, I proceed with doing the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 along with the other exercices I have listed in my previous post.

December 5th: I wake up and I have a lot more sciatica pain once again. I need to pause some more (compared to the previous day). I skip work and I go sleep on the couch for a few hours. This gave me the time to think. There must be an exercice I added that my back doesn't like. My guess is in the hip shrugs. Maybe I'm pushing too much or something. So I decide to only do the Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 for now until I can isolate the reason of the pain increasing. So I do that, walk a little, stretch the legs. In the evening, I am able to go shop with my GF for 5 hours. Previously, it would have given me so much lower back pain. But I was able to do it without a problem. Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 before going to bed.

December 6th: I get up with sciatica pain, less than the previous day, must be a good idea to skip the other exercices. So I'll try that for a few days to confirm that the pain is going down. Cobra 1-2-3-2-1 again, back bends and leg stretch. I already feel a lot better. I'll keep writing what happens so I can understand better what is going on.
seabound

Postby seabound » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 pm

December 6th: About to go to bed. I have a little sciatica pain in the leg. I've been stretching my legs randomly. I haven't done much today, but not because I couldnt, but because I felt like staying inside heahea. I will do the usual before going to bed. I hope tomorrow morning will be better than this morning and yesterday.
seabound

Someone is listening.....

Postby rkochis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 am

FYI- I hope you continue your log. I will be anxious to see the similarities of your progression vs mine. May I ask:
What is the chiropractic diagnosis of your pain?
Have you tried decompression?
Have you been measured for scoliosis or short leg?

I am almost finishing the first 30 days....some progress..some setbacks, but I remain optimistic.
rkochis

Postby seabound » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:29 am

December 7th: got up and felt some pain in the leg. It compared to the one from yesterday morning. It was too early so I went for water and went back to bed. Unfortunately, I stayed in bed until almost 9 which gives me an extra 3 hours of sleep (I found that If I sleep more than 6 hours, I'll have more pain in the morning).

Did the knee bending before getting out of bed. Did the cobra 1-2-3-2-1 and now I can walk without too much pain. Did leg stretches. I'll go for a walk after breakie and shower.

* PM *

December 7th: Went for 2 walks today. about 30 minutes each. It really felt good to walk without any pain. Actually the first one in the morning I felt a little pain in the lower back but after a few steps it was okay. On my walk this evening, I even help someone push his car. The clutch had died. Mind you I was smart about it, just a gentle push, enough to help him move forward.

Just did the full cobra, the cat because I felt like I needed it for my mid back and back bends. Heading off to bed. I should get about 5 hours of sleep. I hope it'll be better in the morning. I will do some knee bends before getting out of bed.

_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_

rkochis I don't remember the diagnosis but;
- Never tried decompression or inversion. I would be tempted by inversion weren't it for the fact that it's dangerous for aneurism. I have something similar at work but I need to hold my weight so I can't hold too long.
- Yes shorter leg, I am wearing orthetics to address that
- Yes scoliosis

Thanks for reading. I hope that I'll keep updating. hopefully I will have something positive to report when at the end of the first month :)
seabound

Postby rkochis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:35 am

Followup questions/comments:

Are you still seeing the chiroprator? If so, you should get a copy of your "chart" to determine the diagnosis (especially if herniation or bulging is present). I believe one of the more important tenants of the RYB program is controlling your own destiny through exercise/strengthening and KNOWLEDGE.

Is your short leg anatomically short or pelvic misalignment short? Just curious, because by left leg is 5/8 " shorter. I have been wearing a 1/2" lift since starting RYB. Interestingly, our symptoms are the similar except that I also have stenosis, herniation, bulging and 33 years on you.

I envy your ability to perform a full cobra. That is my ultimate goal. I feel that getting to a "full cobra" will resolve my issues because at the same time my range of motion will have improved with all the other exercises as well.
(Side comment: Before RYB, when I complained to my physical therapist that the cobra exercises they were recommending were difficult for me to do, they told me to skip them. Also, a physical trainer that I employed for a couple weeks told me that cobra exercises were "counter-indicated" (his term) by his national fitness organization. Such are the contradictions when it comes to back pain.)

Question regarding cobra....did you find that the lower back tightness you experienced "move" when you started RYB. I found that it moved from my lower right to the center and is now moving up as I get better extension. Also, did you initially have "tightness" with the hip shrugs and side bends as well?
rkochis

Postby seabound » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 am

December 8th: Got up after the knee bending in bed. Sciatica pain compares to the previous day. I was able to walk at a normal pace almost right away. Cobra, Cat, Leg stretch on chair, Back Bend and hot shower.

I think I will try a few more days with this routine to see if anything changes. If not, I will try doing the Cobra only in the morning to see the difference it makes.

* PM *

I have had some pain in the evening. Was sitting most of the time :(
About to go to bed. Spent an hour of the evening putting ice wrapped in a humid towel and alternating with hot peas in a bag. Felt good. Also did a 15 minutes on my back with legs on a chair. That felt good too somewhat. Just did a full Cobra, leg stretch and will do back bends and will hit the bend.

_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_-_-¯-_

Yeah seeing the chiropractor every 2 weeks. I'll try to get a copy. Last time I asked him, he said my back was fine and had great movement. He also said there must be something going on with my muscles and or ligaments.

He also said I could go see an orthotherapist to help with muscles as they are the ones who work with muscles whereas chiropractors are working with the bone structure.

Chiropractors might not be the ultimate solution to having a good back, but to me, him saying that, makes a lot of sense.

If I remember correctly, my leg is anatomically shorter. I'll have to check.

Regarding the Cobra, the chiropractor had given it to me as an exercise, but in a different way :steps 1 and 2 were not there, so it was straight to step 3.

The pain moving back to the lower back is a sign of progress. Can't wait to get rid of this siatica pain.

I guess I'll do the "ice packs/hot pads" alternation tonight ... to see if it helps.
seabound

Postby rkochis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:08 am

Your sciatic pain...
Which leg and location of pain?
Also, please describe the pain. I would like to see if it resembles the discomfort (not sharp pain) I have with my left thigh (short leg).
rkochis

Postby seabound » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:35 am

sharp pain in the buttock in the shorter leg... around the middle of it.

as the nerve pinch decreases, so does the pain.

When I first experienced sciatic pain, it would go down all the way to my knee and would cause me to limp and not be able to fully stretch the leg.
seabound

Postby seabound » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:25 am

December 9th: looks like all that circus I did yesterday paid off. This morning I got up with a little less pain related to sciatica. Full Cobra, leg strech and I am off to showering.
seabound

Postby seabound » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:12 pm

No updates yesterday before bed. The site was down.
Did my routine and also did the laying down and warm and cold

This morning when I got up, I was tense. More pain that I would have liked to see as I was expecting progress again. We'll see.
seabound

Postby seabound » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:04 am

Slept 5 hours last night. Got up and it felt better than before. Made me smile hehe. Did my regular stretch Cobra and legs and light back bends as they have been hurting me a little for a few days. Showered.
seabound

add this exercise

Postby rkochis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Please visit iscoliosis.com
Select Exercise tab
Navigate to Back Extension
I believe this is an excellent addition to the RYB program. I do it after all my RYB exercises and am fully warmed up.
rkochis

Postby seabound » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Still doing my exercices daily.

2 days ago I felt much better in the morning. I think it's how I did the Cobra the previous night that helped. I think I managed to stretch better without tention in the lower back or less tension I should say.

Tonight I went to the chiropractor and I feel great.
I'm off to the stretches again ... hopefully I'll keep improving :D
seabound

Postby acw » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Seabound,

1)Are you using a belt?

I found that a wide Stretch belt helps me when i am sitting...particually in the Car.

They have a nice assortment of belts at this site.
ortho-worldwide dot com

2) Are you doing any stretches for the Hamstring Muscles?
I found that these really help. My back always feels looser when i do these stretches.

I am slowly getting better...after 4 weeks of excruciating pain. I am hoping for the best. My X-ray shows very little disc left between L5-S1.

I also have one leg longer than the other....not sure if its the leg or a pelvic alignment problem....

I am trying to do my best to recover...but it sure is HELL going through it.

Really appreciate your posting your results.

Where you diagnosed with Scolious?(sic)

~Tony
acw

Next

Return to Lower Back Pain