sciatica, leg pain, herniated disc

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

sciatica, leg pain, herniated disc

Postby Yuli » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi-- I have had increasing sacroilliac, leg, hamstring and butt pain, mainly on the right side that got significantly worse 4 1/2 months ago after doing restaurant work. I've been treated by chiropractic for months before that with no lasting results--sometimes increase in pain. X-rays show misaligned lumbar 1, 2 and 3 with tweaked spaces between them. Probably from fall from TALL bed from when 10 years old that broke my foot. Osteopath recently diagnosed herniated disc(s) from my pain symptoms. Can't afford MRI. I was treated by Chinese massage therapist for 1 month (12 sessions) and had about 95% improvement until I returned home from massage school 2 weeks ago. Now I have found RYB site and bought the "book" and have been doing the initial exercises for a week. I have increase in pain after the exercises that then subsides, but there has been slow imrovement day to day....until today. Seems a bone popped while in bed and the pain is set back to 2 months ago. I want to keep doing the 5 initial exercises if improvement can come through the pain. What is anyone's experience with how long to do the first set of exercises until I should move on to some of the second group of exercises?? Should all the pain be gone before thinking about the next set of exercises?
Yuli

Postby Yuli » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi this is Yuli again-- In my previous post I meant to say my L3, L4, and L5, NOT 1,2,and 3...!!! Also forgot to mention I was prescribed Physical therapy which I did for a couple of weeks, but it was making the pain worse so I stopped going.
Yuli
Yuli

Postby Steven » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Yuli,

You do the basic exercises for about a month before moving on to the advanced ones.

Steven
Steven

Postby schuess » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:17 am

[Hi Yuli: How are you doing now? Are the RYB exercises helping?

Schuess
schuess

Postby schuess » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Since you are hurting so bad, just do "cobra 3" exercises and let up on the last one a little if it causes radiating leg pain. Like the book says, back soreness is good, while radiating pain into the leg obviously is not, Do these every two hours or so for a few minutes each time. My physical therapist endorsed these cobra group of 3 exercises, and he was the one who said to do them every two hours.
schuess

exhausting

Postby rileyed » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:34 am

I know how you feel Yuli. everything seems to make it worse. If it hurts don't do it, is my advice. I had to learn the hard way. The body will heal eventually. if the pain is unbearable or you begin to get numbness then surgery has to be considered. I have met too many people who toughed it out so long they were permanently damaged. I used to think I was a tough guy, but this thing has kicked my :?#%. I am in the exact same position. I leave the therapist feeling worse!
rileyed

sciatica and herniated disc

Postby hensley04 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 am

I went to a chiropractor in May 2008. I went because I was having neck pain and headaches. I already knew that I had mild Degenerative Disk Disease in my L5-S1 from an x-ray from 7 months prior. The chiropractor took an x-ray of my cervical but not the lumbar. Said she could use the x-ray from before.

She manipulated my entire spine starting with the lower back. I knew at that time that something was wrong, because I practically fell off the table.
The next couple of days I was sick to my stomach from pain around my hips. Could hardly roll out of the bed I was hurting so bad! I continued to go to her for the next few weeks hoping she could fix whatever she did wrong. BIG MISTAKE!! She didn't feel she did anything wrong!

I then realized that the pain that was traveling down my left leg was not getting better but getting worse. I was screaming in pain that ranged from an 8 to 10!! I went to my regular Dr. who put me on steriod pack and some nerve pain pills and anti-inflammatory. He also signed me up with Physical Therapy. Nothing, and I mean nothing was working.

Had the MRI done and went to see a Orthopedic Back Dr. We tried two injections and had to result to a discectomy in August. My sciatic pain has gone down to a 1 to 3 on a daily basis.

I blame this all on the chiroprator. Have actually tried to contact a lawyer because I had to quit my job last July. I'm a Certified Nurse Assistant and was unable to perform my duties. Now having trouble trying to find a job in this economy, I wanted back pay and medical expenses from this chiropractor.

But, I don't know if the lawyer I had talked to was just plain lazy or what, but he won't take the case because we have to prove that the chiropractor actually caused the injury. And with her not actually doing an MRI before the manipulation was done. It would be too hard to prove.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

I know one thing...I will never look at someone with doubt when they talk about their back pain ever again!
hensley04

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain